Summary: For the Church to be in Unity, the congregation of the church must be consecrated to the Lord.
1. The Prayer of Christ - In this chapter, Jesus prays for His disciples, but in verses 20-21, He prays for every person that will ever be saved! What was the prayer of Christ for you, for His church? John 17:20 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." Since Jesus prayed for it, it should be emphasized!
2. The Path to Power - Acts - 13 times, one accord is found in the Bible, 11 are in Acts. That is the transitional book, the beginning of God building His church. Acts 1:14 "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren." Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. The term, “one accord” is from two words that also mean “in unison!” With almost a musical tone, this term resounds of the HARMONY of the redeemed, As the instruments of a great concert under the direction of a concert master, so the Holy Spirit blends together the lives of members of Christ’s church. God’s power did not fall until the church was in Unity.
3. The Principle of being Like Christ Php 2:1 "f there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"
But where do we begin, if we are going to have genuine unity? It starts with the heart! It will start with us being In Unity in our Consecration. Consecration means that we are set apart, clean, and fully dedicated to the Lord.
The Path to Consecration - Genesis 35:1-15
Gen 28 - The first time Jacob is at Bethel, God saved Jacob - In Chapter 32, a New Walk - Then we find he built the altar to HIS God. After that, He was faced with a failure of sin in His children, and then we come to Chapter 35! After this chapter, we find Jacob as a man full of God’s Spirit, wisdom, blessing his boys, worshiping as he leans on his staff, and dwelling in God’s blessings. God wants Jacob to bow to a NEW LEVEL.
I. There was a Summons to an Place - vs. 1-4 GOD SAID COME!
A. A Reminder – Bethel – Go up to Bethel! (House of God)
Where He was changed forever! - The Christian life is not just for Sunday!
1. A place of Faith - Galatians 3:22 "But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe."
2. The place where life began. John 3:3 "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."