Summary: The first of a series of three sermons on courageous manhood.
1. Joshua 1:9 – It takes Godly courage to get into Canaan
2. Titus 1:1-7 – What the Church is supposed to teach
3. II Timothy 2:2 – Faithfulness is the cornerstone of character
4. Deuteronomy 6:7 –Teach to teach to teach
5. I Corinthians 10 – Do not repeat the sins of the Israelites lost in the wilderness
6. I Samuel 27:1 – David’s decision to flee to the land of the Philistines was based on fear
7. Proverbs 10:4 – Slack hands lead to poverty
8. Deuteronomy 7:10 ¬ God doesn’t want us to be lazy
9. Joshua 18:3 ¬ How long have we procrastinated instead of taking what is ours?
10. II Peter 2:9 – God isn’t lazy concerning his promises
11. II Kings 7:3 – Elijah’s prophesy to the King
Two Biblical Truths for Success
1. Everything God does, He does according to a pattern.
2. Everything that God does, He does based on a principle in His Kingdom.
What The Church is Supposed to Teach
1. The Church must require men and women to live faithful lives of character.
2. Faithfulness is the cornerstone of character.
3. Teach to teach to teach
4. You can pattern your life after Godly principles found in the Bible because of God’s new covenant.
David’s Decision to Flee and How he Recovered From a Bad Decision
1. David made his decision in a time of weariness based on perception and assumption.
2. Making decisions in the flesh will often leave you with the ashes of those decisions.
3. David recovered everything when he prayed and sough God’s will.
4. David was not slack. When God said “go” he went immediately.
The Four Lepers Decision to Act on Courage
1. Elijah prophesied the next day that the siege would be over.
2. The only people who believed Elijah were four lepers sitting outside the city gates.
3. They acted based on courage and were rewarded for it.
The Patterns of Courage or Lack Thereof Found in Both Stories
1. David: a decision made in the flesh and based on perception, repentance, encouragement, strengthening, and finally recovering what was lost.
2. The four lepers: made a decision regardless of perception, did so with courage and were rewarded for it.
The Pattern of Sanctifying Yourself From Things That are Unclean
1. Communion is not just for Sunday mornings.
2. Communion is a way to clean ourselves from un-holiness and make a covenant with God that is binding.
Conclusion: If the pattern of your life is not pleasing to God break it and develop a new one, based on acting in faith, meditating on God’s Word and having the courage to act when God and the Holy Spirit tells you to.
THE PATTERN OF COURAGEOUS MANHOOD
I’m dealing with a subject of courageous manhood, talking about the principles, the power of which is the power of courage, and the pattern, which is our subject today, and then the personality. We’re dealing with those because this is an hour when you and I need to recognize we need courageous manhood. And it really depends upon where we are living spiritually what kind of a man we are.