Summary: A practical message on how to live at peace.
The Peacemaker – God’s child Mat 5 Adrian Warnock
Slides and audio at
The Peacemaker by Ken Sande ‘There is no need for another book on this topic to be written now that his volume exists’ CJ MahaneyMuch of the following notes are adapted from the above book which is highly recommended.
How does the following quote make you feel
With each beatitude another nail is driven into a coffin. Inside the coffin lies the corpse of a false understanding of salvation. The false understanding said that a person can be saved without being changed. Or: that a person can inherit eternal life even if his attitudes and actions are like the attitudes and actions of unbelievers.
One after the other the beatitudes tell us that the blessings of eternity will be given only to those who have become new creatures…..If we don’t obtain mercy, we receive judgment. If we don’t see God, we are not in heaven. If we aren’t called the sons of God, we are outside the family. In other words these are all descriptions of final salvation…it is promised only to the merciful, the pure in heart, and the peacemakers.
Therefore the beatitudes are like long spikes holding down the lid of the coffin on the false teaching which says that if you just believe in Jesus you will go to heaven whether or not you are merciful or pure in heart or a peacemaker. In fact, from beginning to end the Sermon on the Mount cries out, "Get yourself a new heart! Become a new person! The river of judgment is at the door!" You recall the words of verse 20: "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:20)…..In other words, a life of disobedience to the beatitudes and to the Sermon on the Mount will not stand in the judgment no matter what we believe! (PIPER)
Oh to be called a child of God!
* How is Gods reputation is affected by how we treat others
* "My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father—that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me." (John 17:21, NLT)
* Jesus is the ultimate peacemaker and true peace can only come through him
* God intends for us to be at peace
* With God
* Within ourselves
* With others
* What does this mean in practive
* We have a duty to serve others in this area- How (2 Corinthians 5:17-21, ESV)
The price of peace
* Jesus paid the ultimate peace price & He wants us to pay the peace price
* Dying to self and own desires
* Dying to the right to be indignant
* Dying to the right of reply
* Dying inside to say ‘Sorry’ and mean it
* Peacemaking is a lifestyle not just for conflicts
* Many do not know there is such a thing as peace and forgiveness
Lies that destroy peace
* Look out for number one
* God helps those who help themselves
* Surely God doesn’t want me to remain in an unhappy situation
* Ill forgive you but I cant forget
* Dont get mad, get even
* I deserve better than this
* Which of the above lies are hardest for you personally to resist