Summary: This first part of our Bible study about the Person of Jesus explores who Jesus is, His names and titles, His incarnation, and His humanity.
THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST #1: INTRODUCTION TO JESUS
• Knowing Jesus Christ is different from knowing any other historical figure:
• What you do with Jesus Christ will affect your ETERNAL DESTINY!
• In this study, let us not seek to merely learn more facts about Jesus, but let our goal be to KNOW HIM MORE. “For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him.” (Phil. 3:10, Amplified).
1. THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST:
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:1-4).
“For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7).
• Jesus Christ, the Word of God, is God Himself.
• He has ETERNALLY existed as a part of the Godhead – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:5-11).
• Jesus Christ left the glories of Heaven to become a HUMAN BEING.
• “The unique position of Jesus Christ is that He, being God, became man. Without the incarnation, Jesus could never have identified with the human race, yet still be deity and be able to save humanity from its fallen state.” (Lester Sumrall).
“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.” (Colossians 1:15-20).
• Jesus is the IMAGE of the invisible God – He came to reveal God to us!
• Jesus CREATED all things, and has existed before all things were created.
• Jesus died on the cross to make PEACE and reconcile all things to Himself.
2. THE NAMES AND TITLES OF JESUS CHRIST: