Summary: The signs of the times are all around us – we are living in the last days. Our job is to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom into all the world, and then King Jesus will return.
THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM
INTRO TO TOPIC:
Is this the end of the world as we know it? Perhaps you’ve seen the apocalyptic movie “2012” and wonder if there’s any truth to it. Or you look the increase of natural disasters in the world and wonder if these are the signs of the times:
• In January, a 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti, with over 230,000 dead
• On February 27th, an 8.8 earthquake and tsunami hit Chile, with around 500 dead
• On March 2nd, landslides in Uganda, with 350 people missing
• On March 4th, a 6.2 earthquake hit Taiwan, and the list goes on and on.
Are we living in the last days?
SIGNS OF THE TIMES:
“3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" 4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ’I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.” (Matthew 24:3-13).
• Jesus said: When you hear of wars, don’t be troubled – the end is not yet.
• There will be famines and earthquakes everywhere, but this is just the beginning.
• “For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. Against its will, everything on earth was subjected to God’s curse. All creation anticipates the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.” (Romans 8:19-22).
• A sign of the times would be many people being offended, betrayals and hatred.
• The challenge: He who endures to the end will be saved!
• What then is the sign of the end times – the second coming of Jesus?
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14).
THE BIG IDEA: The signs of the times are all around us – we are living in the last days. Our job is to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom into all the world, and then King Jesus will return.
1. WHAT IS THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM?
“Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:14-15).