Summary: We have a responsility to teach and disciple, with that responsibility we must be responsible.
The Power of the Tongue that Teaches
That fleshy, movable, muscular organ, attached in most vertebrates to the floor of the mouth, that is the principal organ of taste, an aid in chewing and swallowing, and, in humans, an important organ of speech. It is also known for food not to taste but to eat. It has been the focal point of people whether you have your tongue pierced or in a rock group. The tongue is a powerful resource to make people powerful. Whether you are talking, shouting, singing or speaking. There is power in the tongue. It teaches, it leads, it curses…
I. What you should understand about teachers?
a) Not all are teachers
(1) 1 Cor 12: Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?
b) The judgement of a teacher is much harsher… James 3:1
(1) Must be learned
(a) 1 Timothy 1:6-7 …desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm.
(2) This was one of the churches biggest mistakes with me in the beginning…
c) They should teach what Jesus would teach? What did others want to be taught?
(1) Job 34:32 Teach me what I do not see;
(2) Psalm 25:4 Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths.
(3) Psalm 119:66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge
(4) Psalm 86:11 Teach me Your way,
(5) Psalm 119:12 Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes.
ii) Understand that teachers should be learning, if they are not, they should not teach…
II. How do you identify a false teacher?
a) False teachers teach false doctrines
(1) Do not teach other doctrines: Paul urged the Galations to watch out…
(a) Galations 1:6-9…
(b) Christian Scientist preached another gospel
(i) Mary Baker Eddy… under the influence of Phineas P. Quimby, a mesmerist… hypnosis…
(ii) Doctrine: denies Jesus…Trinity… Holy Spirit is Science…
(iii) “Jesus’ blood on the cross was no more effective than when it coursed through his veins as He went about his Father’s work”
(2) Angels can be false teachers
(a) I don’t care if it’s Gabriel himself…Muslim… Mormon (Moroni)
(i) Paul said “8But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.”
b) False teachers promote legalism
(1) Introducing Judaism and Mosaic Laws weakening the gospel that we are saved by grace…Jesus and the Pharisees (Blind guides, hypocrites, etc)
(a) Acts 15:24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”—to whom we gave no such commandment
(2) Lived in contradiction to what they taught…
(a) Rom 2:21-24
(b) How effective would I be if what I told you I lived in direct opposite?
(c) Some say you would be human. I say I would be a false teacher, because it would show that even I don’t believe what I teach.
c) False teachers tickle the ears of their listeners to gain favor
(1) 2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.