Summary: Revival at watergate and how the Word of God was used.
THE POWER OF GOD’S WORD – NEHEMIAH CH. 8
The wall is now finished and Nehemiah has take precautions on keeping the city defended. Last time we looked at “ Preserving The Things of God” in Neh. 7. Today we want to study about a glorious revival. There are many fake revivals today. The measure of a real revival can be measured by what is found in this chapter. The Word of God was prominent and there was genuine repenting by the people.
There are two main divisions in this chapter. The first thing we notice is the “Congregating of the People”; the second thing is the “Celebration of the People”
I. THE CONGREGATION OF GOD’S PEOPLE. (1-13)
(Note how they requested God’s Word – this is the place to start for a revival)
A. The Request for the Word of God.
1. The Place They Requested the Word was At the Watergate. (1)
(Earlier we shared how this gate was symbolic of the Word of God)
2. The People That Requested the Word.
a. God’s people
b. All that had understanding. (Only God’s people have understanding.
B. The Reading of God’s Word. (3-4)
1. The length of time that it was read.
2. The listening of the people as it was read.
C. The Reception of God’s Word
1. The posture of the people.
2. The prayer of the priest.
3. The praise of the people
(God’s Word read and explained correctly always brings Glory and Honor to the Lord.)
D. The Response to God’s Word.
1. They used their minds. (7)
2. They had respect. (7)
3. They repented (9)
4. They rejoiced (10, 18)
II. THE CELEBRATION OF GOD’S PEOPLE.
(There are 3 special days for Israel to observe in this seventh month – Every day should be a celebration day for the Christian, but especially Sundays – Heb. 10:25)
A. It Was A Time To Remember the Past.
1. They were to remember the power of the LORD
2. They were to remember the provisions of the LORD.
3. They were to remember the Promises of the LORD.
4. They were to remember that they were pilgrims for the LORD.
B. It Was A Time to Reflect upon Their Present and Future.
(We are where and what we are by the Grace of God!)
1. We are a delivered people.
2. We a destined people.
3. We should be a delighted people.