Summary: THE PRAYER OF JABEZ
I Chronicles 4:1-10 THE PRAYER OF JABEZ
We have a God who likes to write names in a book. A God who knows us by name.
The difference between “Lazarus” and “the rich man.” God forgot his name. In this life, either our sin is blotted out or our name is blotted out.
I. JABEZ - A BLIGHTED MAN
9 and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.
1. The Cause of the “sorrow"
a. Unwanted pregnancy? b. Abandoned family? c. Hard economic times?
2. The Consequence of the “sorrow"
a. Rejection b. Remorse - pain and sorrow c. Resentment - Chip on his shoulder
d. Resolve - Determination to see a change in his life!
3. The Cure of the “sorrow" 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel.
Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
2. JABEZ - A BLESSED MAN - 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel
WE MUST LOOK IN THE BIBLE FOR DIRECTION
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
The Bible is a book about people, about problems, about solutions to those problems
10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel - Jacob
1. Benjamin Gen 35:16 And they journeyed from Bethel; and there was but a little way to come to Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour. 17 And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also. 18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.
NOTE: His mother called his name, “Ben-oni”, “son of my sorrow,”
But his father called him “Benjamin,” “son of my right hand”
a. Born a “supplanter” Gen 25:26 And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau’s heel; and his name was called Jacob:
NOTE: Jacob had suffered all his life because of his name, “cheat, double crosser.”
“One who takes you by the heel.” “One who twists your arm!”
b. Took advantage of his brother’s weakness Genesis 25:30-34
c. Deceived his father to gain more than his share of the inheritance Genesis 27:35,36
d. Driven from homeland and family Genesis 27:41-45
e. Became a fugitive (outlaw, runaway, escapee) Genesis 28:10-11
NOTE: Jacob had tried all the clever ways known to man to get ahead. But now he is broken, alone and at the end of himself.
NOTE: “God had to break him, in order that he might bless him”
3. JABEZ - A BROKEN MAN 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, - Identical to Jacob's Prayer
Gen 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob’s thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. 27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.