Summary: This is a message that sets forth the basics dealing with redemption.
Scripture: Luke 4:18
Title: “The Price of Admission”
Introduction: I can remember a time when if you shopped at certain places they gave you trading stamps. They gave out books with empty pages where you could place those stamps and when you filled your books you could take them to a place called a “Redemption Center.”
At that redemption center you could trade the books of stamps you had collected and redeem a variety of different items of your choosing with those books of stamps.
I can remember looking at things that I wanted, but never got to have because I didn’t have enough stamps to get them.
In Luke 4:18 we hear Jesus saying He came to set us free from the bondages of sin.
1. Good News to the Poor.
2. Healing for the Brokenhearted.
3. Deliverance for the Captives.
4. Recovering of Sight for the Blind.
5. To Liberate those who had been Bruised / Downtrodden.
Jesus came down from Heaven to REDEEM (Buy back) mankind from being LOST.
1. Mankind was placed into a state of LOSTNESS when Eve & Adam disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.
2. From Eden until The Cross Mankind lived with a need for REDEMPTION.
The Person of Redemption
1. In Acts 12:12 we read, “There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them.” – That name is Jesus!
2. Because of who Jesus was. – God’s ONLY begotten Son.
3. Because of HOW Jesus was BORN! – Pure, Clean, Miracle.
4. Because of HOW Jesus LIVED His ENTIRE life here on Earth. – Without SIN! – Fulfilled every O.T. Requirement.
5. Because of HOW Jesus DIED without complaining.
6. Because of HOW Jesus ROSE from the DEAD.
7. Because of the WAY Jesus PROVED He was the RISEN Savior. – Acts 1:3 “To whom also he showed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days,”
8. Because of the WAY He went back to HEAVEN.
The Price of Redemption
1. Jesus was God’s VERY BEST!
2. 1 Cor. 7:23 “God purchased you at a high price. Don’t be enslaved by the world.” NLT
3. Jesus fit the O.T. requirement being the FIRST-BORN male.
4. Jesus did not have one SPOT nor one BLEMISH anywhere on His body.
5. There was not another LIKE Him anywhere to be found.
6. Jesus suffered beyond our UNDERSTANDING.
The Purpose of Redemption
1. God wanted US back in FELLOWSHIP as His Own CHILDREN.
2. God wanted Mankind to be RESTORED to his ORIGINAL STATE as when man was in the Garden of Eden before the FALL.
3. Grace allowed man to TURN AWAY from God, but Grace NEVER STOPPED reaching out to MAN for RESTORATION.
4. We are God’s ONLY REPRESENTATIVES here in this WORLD.
5. God wants our VOICES, MINDS, and HEARTS for His Glory!
6. God wants to ESTABLISH His Kingdom on the Earth.
I don’ know how many times I have heard someone say, “I am so tired of dealing with this.” It may have been sickness, disease, a limiting situation, which prevented them from enjoying life, and the list can go on almost without end.
He paid a debt He did not owe,
I owed a debt I could not pay,
I needed someone to wash my sins away,
And now I sing a brand new song, Amazing Grace,
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay.
2 Sam. 4:4 “And Jonathan, Saul’s son, had a son that was lame of his feet. He was five years old when the tidings came of Saul and Jonathan out of Jezreel, and his nurse took him up, and fled: and it came to pass, as she made haste to flee, that he fell, and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth.”
Eph. 1:14 “Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”
Jesus died the death we should have died, gave us the Eternal life we could not attain, and lived the life we could not live.
No matter what a person may do he cannot save himself.
No matter what a person may do he cannot cleanse himself from his sins.
Recognizing this is the first step in getting saved.
We can never be worthy of the goodness of God.