Summary: Spiritual Warfare
I. “At all times”
- Why should we pray at all times?
A. Satan is constantly on the prowl - (1Pe_5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.)
1. How does Satan Prowl?
a. He goes everywhere - (Job 1:7 The LORD said to Satan, "From where have you come?" Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.")
b. He disguises himself as something good - (2Co_11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light..)
c. He works within our ignorance. (2Co_2:11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.)
d. He takes advantage of our lack of self-control. (1Co_7:5 …so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.)
e. He works to hinder the work of God in your life. (1Th_2:18 because we wanted to come to you—I, Paul, again and again—but Satan hindered us.)
II. “Praying…in the Spirit”
- Why is praying in the Spirit of God such a battle?
A. Because prayer is a spiritual tool (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)
1. Matthew 12 the Pharisees handled the law of God according to the flesh.
2. Spirit filled Jesus handled it according to the Spirit.
3. How we handled the drunks on the back pew in Thoreau.
B. Because our natural mind is not in line with God. (Rom_8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God:)
1. (Mat_26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.)
2. (Mat_26:39 …"My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.")
- Jesus did battle with the flesh and Satan
III. “With all prayer and supplication”
A. “prayer” (proseuche-prosyookhay) worship
B. Every kind of prayer needs to be done in the Spirit
- (John 4: 24 worship in Spirit and Truth)
- Prayer not done in a worshipful manner is a failed prayer.
- Just because you are praying or making requests to God does not mean it is automatically worshipful.
- Prayer can be done wrong and it can be an abomination to God.
- (Mat_6:5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. )
- Sacrifice could be done wrong the example of Cain
- (Heb 12:28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, )
1. We should pray over everything
2. We should Pray in the Spirit
3. We should pray in a worshipful manner
4. Prayer is a primary tool for the battle and it is the most powerful.
5. Mat_17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
6. Sometimes prayer is the only way to get something done.