Summary: Exploring the promises of the Spirit, of signs, and of salvation.
“The Promises of God”
I. The Promise of the Spirit (28-29)
• “And it shall come to pass afterward”
o Afterward – after God’s promise of restoration (vv.18-27)
o We find both First and Second Advent significance here in God’s promises.
• “I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh”
o Significance of giving of the Spirit of God in the OT.
o God’s promise was to all people here, both Jew and Gentile First Coming of Jesus Christ
o (Promise of Christ) John 14:16-18; 26
o (Day of Pentecost) Acts 2:38-39
• “Your sons and daughters…your old men…your young men.”
o Israel is still God’s chosen people and still has a major role to play in God’s redemptive history.
• How blessed are we to be counted among those to whom the Holy Spirit of God has been so generously poured out upon.
1 Corinthians 2:14-16 (NASB95)
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. 16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.
o Through God’s Spirit we are given the ability to know and understand spiritual truths that unbelievers are not.
Galatians 5:16 (NASB95)
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
o Also God gives us the ability to live a life of obedience that is pleasing to Him and no longer just serving to please ourselves.
II. The Promise of Signs (30-31)
• Again both first and second advent significance in this prophecy also.
• First Coming “show wonders in the heavens and in the earth”
o Jesus’ life Acts 2:22
o Jesus’ death Matthew 27:45, 51-54
• Second Coming
• Why does God promise signs?
o To get our attention, scripture says that we are not even looking for God, He must come to us.
o To give us direction, God wants to make sure that we know the way to Him.
III. The Promise of Salvation (32)
• The pouring out of the Spirit, the signs; were all done for this reason that we might be saved.
o Second Advent Revelation 7:4, 9-10
• God is still pouring out His Spirit, He is still doing wonders (changed lives), and He is still saving people.
• Are we doing our part?
o “preacher” means one who proclaims or one who tells.