Summary: Living a godly life.
OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO Matthew 6:25-34 & 1 TIM 6
1. This week I read a number of newspaper articles.
a. Among them chronicled the different pursuits of man.
b. There were those PURSUING the Presidency of the US.
c. Those PURSUING of the completion of a giant monument.
d. There are those PURSUING a win in a sports event, PURSUING an award, PURSUING a world record.
e. Story after story chronicling all sorts of PURSUITS of MAN.
WHY THE PURSUITS?? WHY SO MUCH TIME CHASING AFTER?
• Because there is something in us that drives us toward a goal
• Constantly moving us in the direction of completion.
THIS MORNING… Paul exhorts Timothy to PURSUE GODLINESS.
• In all you do Timothy, PURSUE GODLINESS.
WEBSTER’S DICTIONARY DEFINES PURSUING AS:
• “to follow in order to overtake”AND “to capture”
• From the Original Language, you could write, “to run swiftly, to run after.”
THE IDEA is that OUR whole life & being, OUR whole reservoir of action & energy is SPENT on obtaining the goal.
It’s BEEN SAID: Enthusiasm is the element of success in everything. It is the light that leads and the strength that lifts men on and up in the great struggles of scientific pursuits and of professional labor. It robs endurance of difficulty and makes pleasure of duty. Bishop Doane (1832-1913)
NOW Jesus spoke about our goals & pursuits in Matthew 6.
• He uses the context of worry & fretting & brooding over things.
• Let’s look at Matthew 6:25ff
Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness…
• That’s where we pick up in v11 of 1 Timothy 6.
I. (6:11-16) Spiritual.
1. (11) Timothy, a Man of God.
a. Timothy, with all his weaknesses, was also a very spiritually strong man in many ways.
b. Yes I know we’ve seen his weaknesses, there are many.
c. But he also had many spiritual strengths.
d. Here, he’s called a ‘MAN OF GOD’.
NOW we use that phrase very loosely speaking of brothers and sisters as men & women of God.
• But the Bible reserves this phrase to just a few.
• Moses is referred to as a MAN OF GOD.
• Elisha is called a MAN OF GOD.
• David is called a MAN of GOD.
• Timothy is now called a MAN OF GOD, a special title!
BY NOW we think of Timothy as young, sickly, timid, fearful, ready to throw in the towel maybe… but he was a man of God! Used greatly.
APP: Guys, we need to be careful in over condemning ourselves.
• Yes there are weaknesses. Sure there are even failures.
• But Jesus looks out at and sees such great potential.
• He’s sees your progress, rejoices in your growth.
• Condemnation does nothing but destroy the Christian!
Romans 8.1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
Timothy, O man of God: flee these things.
• Run away from them, take off & don’t look back.
• Flee what things? Discontentment, Greed, using the Ministry as a means of gain. Just don’t go there Timothy.
• Don’t get caught up in the false prosperity teachings.
BUT RATHER pursue righteousness… right living on earth.
Godliness… those God like characteristics in your life.
Faith… trusting in Him who is faithful.
Love… extending agape love in and around your life.
Patience… longsuffering toward those around you.
Gentleness… seeking the softer, gentler path.
REALLY if you have goals in this life, make them first spiritual.
• If you’re going to tape something to your bathroom mirror, as a reminder of your goals in life… tape these there.
• Keep eternity’s values in mind. Stay focused eternally.
2. (12) But it doesn’t come without a fight.
a. It’s a good fight Timothy. Worth every ounce of energy!
b. Literally, Paul is saying, “Keep on fighting”
c. Greek Word, “agonizomai” Where we get agonize from.
d. It describes the person straining and giving his best to win the prize or win the battle!
e. Let’s turn to Ephesians 6.10ff
SO It’s a spiritual battle against spiritual enemies, that come trying to distract, deter, and finally destroy us.
• But we can fight, with spiritual weapons, covered in spiritual armor!
2 Cor. 10.4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
Fight Timothy. Don’t give in. Don’t give up.
• Lay hold on eternal life… it’s your calling & your confession!
3. (13-14) I URGE YOU… charge you. Keep this commandment!
a. Keep this commandment without spot. Live blamelessly.
b. That’s your call Timothy. That’s your call man or woman of God! A blameless life.