Summary: This message describes how that Jesus has the power to bring the dead back to life, not only the physical dead, but also the spiritualy dead.
This Sermon Was Prepared For Lexington Church Of God for use Sunday Night April 7th, 2002
“The Raising Of Lazarus”
TEXT: John 11: 1-15 (NKJV)
A. I believe that there is more to this story of Jesus raising Lazarus from
the dead than most realize.
For this story demonstrates the true nature of Christ.
This story exemplifies His AUTHORITY over death and sin.
This story is about the manifestation of His far reaching POWER to
reach into the grave and raise up the dead.
B. I believe that this story is about more than Jesus having the power and
authority to raise this natural body.
I believe it also demonstrates His power to bring one from the depths
of SIN’S Bondage
Now Let’s Take A Look At The Scriptures;
I. The Love Of Christ
A. In verses 3-5 Lazarus’ sisters send for Jesus.
1. You see Jesus had stayed in their home and they had enjoyed
the fellowship with Him on previous occasions.
2. They had come to LOVE Christ and they had come to realize
His love for them because; a. He had stayed in their home.
Jesus had lodged with them on several occasions and I believe
He had came into their home by invitation.
b. They had enjoyed and returned His fellowship
3. Those who FELLOWSHIP with Jesus become aware of His
a. They come to know the GLORY and the POWER of His Presence.
b. Those who share fellowship with Christ understand the reach of
B. Jesus had passed through Bethany many times, but it was Lazarus
and his sisters that invited Jesus to come into their home and into
1. They knew Him as a friend that sticketh closer than a brother and not
as just some stranger passing through.
2. They had come to know His Love because they had sought His
fellowship and His presence in their home.
C. Notice the invitation that Martha and Mary send unto Jesus.
John 11:3 (KJV) 3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold,
he whom thou lovest is sick.
1. Anyone who invites Jesus into their heart and life will come to know His
2. He loves the sinner even though the sinner does not return His love
or acknowledge His love.
Romans 5:8 (KJV)8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while
we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
D. Now notice the Words of Jesus following this invitation to intervene.
John 11:5-6 (KJV)5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
1. At first thought, this sounds very strange:
“Now Jesus loved Martha, and Mary, and Lazarus.”
2. But when He heard that Lazarus was sick He did not rush over
To Bethany to check on him or to heal him.
3. Even stranger, He delayed His trip to Bethany two more days.
E. How could He have loved them so, yet wait so long to meet their
1. My friend Jesus had something BIG in mind.
2. Something that would reveal His LORDSHIP.
3. Something that would manifest His Authority & Power.
4. I believe it was out of His great Love for Martha, Mary and Lazarus
that Jesus purposely delayed His trip to Bethany.
a. He was about to show this family a deeper love than they had ever