Summary: Having God’s presence over your life is truly living!
The Real Value of Life
And David was unwilling to move the ark of the LORD into the city of David with him; but David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. Thus, the ark of the LORD remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the LORD blessed Obed-edom and his entire household. Now it was told King David, saying, "The LORD has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, on account of the ark of God." David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.
The real value in life is truly having God’s presence over you!
Not just a form of his presence – But the fullness of his presence!
· II Timothy 3:2-5 tells us about the form of godliness - For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
Ø Where are you at this morning? I want the power of his presence!
Ø I believe John Wesley the well known song writer and preacher summed it up the best in a statement he made in 1734 - "My one aim in life is to secure personal holiness, for without being holy myself, I cannot promote real holiness in others."
Ø When Obededom tasted the fullness of God’s presence things changed:
o It said that his entire household was blessed.
o His land started to produce double the crops.
o His livestock started producing double.
o Things that where problems in the past are now being blessed!
Obededom was willing to move with God on into David’s Tabernacle.
Ø Another example found in scripture about the value of God’s presence is from Moses – Exodus 33:15 - And Moses said to the Lord, If Your Presence does not go with me, do not carry us up from here!
God never takes His people FROM something He has blessed unless He takes them INTO the next step in His plan.
Many times the Lord’s people hesitate to come FROM something God is blessing INTO the fresh visitation of the Spirit through fear of the unknown. However, God always desires to lead His people into a fuller revelation of Himself in each step.
Additional history on Obededom:
Obededom was appointed to be among the musicians in the order of worship in David’s Tabernacle in Zion (1Chr 15:21).
* Obed-Edom, Jeiel, and Azaziah with harps filling in the harmony;
Later was promoted to be one of David’s head bodyguards / Doorkeepers.
When we walk in God’s presence, we will have God’s favor over our life!
· Deuteronomy 28:13 - And the LORD will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them.
Everyone say - I’m the head and not the tail
Obededom was blessed with 8 sons from whom came mighty men of valor, strong for the service of the Lord.
What was special about him?
Obededom lived near a bump in the road where oxen always stumble.
The good news is that there was nothing special about him. The very thing he probably hated – The nasty bumpy road he lived on was going to change his life.
1. I truly believe things happen in our lives so that we can grow spiritually! – It is all how you view it!
2. God has always used broken things to accomplish great things!
a. Moses – Worst public speaker
b. David – A man of murder and adultery
c. Peter – A liar and a coward
d. Then there is me - ?????????????????????
3. The presence of God no longer needs to reside in a wooden box or an earthly temple – But we are the temples that God desires to live in!