Summary: To look at the picture of hell painted for us through inspiration so that we will be encouraged to live in such a way as not to go there.
The Reality of Hell
Text: Rev. 20.15
Thesis: To look at the picture of hell painted for us through inspiration so that we will be
encouraged to live in such a way as not to go there.
(1) It is said that for the Christian, earth is the only hell that he/she will know. For the Non-Christian, earth is the only heaven that he/she will know.
(2) Sadly, many people do not believe in the reality of hell.
(a) Many conclude that God’s love will allow many, if not all, to be saved.
(b) They forget about God’s justice.
(c) Some even believe that hell is only annihilation.
(3) Nevertheless, the Bible teaches the reality of hell.
(4) Illustration – Unbeliever asked Christian: Suppose you learn there is no Heaven?
Christian asked Unbeliever: Suppose you learn there is a Hell?
I. The Purpose of Hell
A. It was originally prepared for the Devil and his angels (Rev. 21.10).
B. God’s justice demands that man pay for his sins.
1. Jesus died for all men (Heb. 2.9-10).
2. All who accept this gift will be saved from God’s wrath (Rom. 5.9).
3. Those who do not accept this gift will meet God’s wrath (2 Thess. 1.7-9).
II. The Place of Hell
A. It is a lake of fire (Rev. 21.15).
1. This fire is not quenched (Mark 9.48).
2. You never get use to the pain.
B. It is a place of torment (Luke 16.23-24).
C. It is a place of consciousness (Luke 16.23-24).
1. One of the saddest statements is, “Child, remember […]” (Luke 16.25).
2. Degree of punishment – 2 Pet. 2.20-22 (Let opportunity slip)
D. It is a place without the slightest hope of release (Matt. 25.46 – Everlasting destruction).
E. It is a place of darkness (Matt. 8.12).
F. It is a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matt. 25.30).
G. It is a place where the worm does not die (Mark 9.48).
H. It is a place where you are separated from God’s presence (God is in Heaven).
III. The People of Hell
[The Majority – Matt. 7.13-14]
A. Those who do not believe in God (2 Thess. 1.7a.).
B. Those who do not obey God (2 Thess. 1.7b; Matt. 7.21).
C. Those who did obey but have fallen away (2 Pet. 2.20-22).
D. Simply, those whose names are not written in the Lamb’s Book of Life (Rev. 20.15).
E. It is said that “Hell is paved with good intentions, roofed in with lost opportunities” (Portuguese Proverb).
(1) Hell is just as real as is Heaven.
(2) Nevertheless, because of God’s grace, we get to decide upon where we want to choose eternity.
(3) “He who hesitates has already decided.”
(4) What will you decide?