Summary: What the word of God teaches us about this man should serve as an encouragement to every person in this room.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
October 6th, 2013
THE REJECT WHO BECAME THE RULER
Intro: Judges can be very depressing
• Chronicles/years/Israel between/Joshua/Saul first king
• Book is a scene of lawlessness.
• Describe the cycle.
Spiritual climate during those days is summed/Judges 21:25 ,“In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”
Discouraging about this book? Ample evidence we humans don’t learn our lessons well.
Left to ourselves, we get ourselves in trouble time and again.
• Positive side/book/fact/God never completely forsook His people.
• They failed Him/He chastised them/always took them back
• Let’s me know He will never forsake us.
• The church/purchased/blood/His Darling Son
• He will ever stand by us, Heb. 13:5.
Times /Judges/dark/dismal days for Israel, a few lives stand out as bright lights against the darkness.
• One/lights/man before us in our text today.
• Introduced to a man named Jephthah.
What the word of God teaches us about this man should serve as an encouragement to every person in this room.
• Walked through some hard places in his life
• He overcame all/obstacles/life and he accomplished great things for the Lord.
• Man rejected by his family, outcast by society
• written off by everyone who should have cared about him
• In the end Jephthah became the leader of his people.
Jephthah is not an altogether good example.
• Chosen to lead/people by the people/not by God.
• life is confusing at best.
• not the Lord’s choice/Judge
• Lord allowed Jephthah to lead the people to victory for His Own purposes.
• God had a plan.using Jephthah; don’t know all/details/plan!
Let’s get to know Jephthah and learn the lessons his life reveals. I want to preach about The Reject Who Became The Ruler.
I. v. 1-3 AN APPALLING REJECTION
A. v. 1 Jephthah’s Character
• First revelation/Jephthah “a mighty warrior”.
• “mighty warrior” means/marked by “great bravery”.
• A very courageous and powerful man.
Kind of man:
• Who did what needed/done/every situation he faced in life.
• Who refused to back down
• You would like to have at your back in a battle.
• Others would look to for leadership.
He was a strong, able and efficient man.
B. v. 1 Jephthah’s Challenge
• Next truth “he was the son of a harlot”.
• His father’s named was “Gilead”.
• Gilead/man who frequented prostitutes.
• One became pregnant and bore him a son named Jephthah.
• Major strike against Jephthah/marked him/illegitimate son of Gilead.
Like everyone in this room, Jephthah had marks in the plus column and marks in the minus column.