Summary: The Word
John 1:1 - 14 The Rejected One
1. They Failed to Recognize His Person - 1 In the beginning was the Word,
1. His When - 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
(a) His Description. "The Word" the revealer of God's thoughts
Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
(b) His Duration. "In the beginning was the Word" He has always existed.
1. He Is Eternally God "In the beginning was the Word"
2. Equally God "In the beginning God [Elohim, a plural noun] created [a singular verb] the heaven and the earth."
3. Essentially God "And the Word was God."
(c) His Dwelling. " and the Word was with God" He lived with God.
(d) His Deity. "and The Word was God"
B. His Where 2 The same was in the beginning with God
C. His What - 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
The Extent of His Creation. 3 All things were made by him;
The Exertion in His Creation. "Made" means "created from nothing"
The Exclusion of His Creation.
3 and without him was not any thing made that was made.
D. His Why - 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
2. They Failed to Recognize His Purpose -
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
His Redemption 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
His Revelation 5 And the light shineth in darkness; - John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
His Retribution and the darkness comprehended it not.
(1) Their Rejection, Christ was not received well; not perceived as essential
(2) Their Rebellion 1) The Facts - 5a "the light shines in the darkness"
2) The Failure - 5b "and the darkness comprehended it not"
3) The Folly - 2 Thess 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; - JESUS IS COMING, AND HE IS AS MAD AS HELL.
3. They Failed to Recognize His Power - 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
a. His Coming - 10 He was in the world,
b. His Controlling - and the world was made by him
c. His Calling - and the world knew him not. Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
4. They Failed to Recognize His Place - There was
REJECTION - 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
RECEPTION -12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
REGENERATION - 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
REDEMPTION - 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.