Summary: Save blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, all sin is relative though consequences vary.
The Relativity of Sin
Text: Jas. 2: 9-13
Keywords: same/consistent one and all
Proposition: We need to see sin as God sees sin. By doing this, we can steer clear of the trap of Legalism.
Objective: For us to see that the playing field is level. Sin is sin.
A. Have you ever considered the neighbors sins keep in the scriptures?
1. vs. 9 of the text favoritism, adultery, murder
a.I Cor. 6: 9-10 covetousness, stealing, effeminates
b.Gal. 5: 19-21 quarrelling, envy, strife (murder & adultery)
c.Eph. 4: 19 greediness, lasciviousness
d.Eph. 5: 3-5 foolish talking, jesting, fornicators
e.Rev. 21: 8 fearful, liars, murderers
2. No one guilty of these has an inheritance in the kingdom of heaven; at the end of each list the bible tells us so.
B. The law (N.T. law) convinces us. Convince = rebuke It renders us guilty and unable to redeem ourselves under the law. What do we do?
1. Hope we die with a prayer on our lips? Or…
2. Do we accept and teach the recurring theme of grace and mercy the latter part portion of this passage undeniably addresses along with others like Matt. 7: 1ff? We must, if the struggling Christian
is to find any hope.
3. If we could ever get over the fear of preaching real grace, we might begin to make headway with many legalistic brethren.
a.Maybe we could make them see the vicious circle they place themselves in and those they impose their ideals upon. Mt. 23: 3-4 & 15
b.Maybe we could make them realize that they paint themselves into corners and leave themselves no scriptural way out and paint themselves as believing their sins aren’t as bad as others.
II. Body “We are all the same, SINNERS and sin is sin!
A. Vs. 10-11
1. There are no “big” and “little” sins
b.Sin is transgression of the law. I Jo. 3: 4
c.God is no respecter of persons. Acts 10: 34 ff
1.)The gospel is for all sinners.
2.)I Jo 2: 2 (Read)
3.)I believe God loves the Adulterer as much as He does the “white liar”, the legalist in denial, and the self righteous Hypocrite and He forgives the adulterer just like He does the person who over indulges at Shoney’s every Sunday morning after services or the compulsive liar or alcoholic who is struggling with his imperfections and dedication to the Lord.
4.) The text tells me that God is no respecter of sinners either.
2. I believe it behooves us to try and see sin as God sees it.
a.There are no degrees of sin.
b.If we look at sin through our eyes and not God’s, we might use earthly consequences to rank sin.
c.This verse tells us that God has leveled the playing field.
1.)God did not stack sin so that when Jesus died it fell in a neat stack and left some not as forgiven as others; Christ’s resurrection had a domino effect; it knocked them ALL down!
2.)Visit a Rehab Center and it won’t take long to see that sin is relative! The sex addict is just as overcome with sex as the depressed is with depression, the alcoholic is with liquor and the food oriented addict is with bulimia, obesity, or anorexia. These people understand the common struggle of unrelated struggles.