Summary: Children need to be instructed on their resposibilities within the family. This message is designed to help both parents and children to know how children should interact with parents.
THE BIBLICAL FAMILY: The Responsibilities of Children
A. You know, God pretty well has this old world figured out.
1. The Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
2. If we were to continue to read through the remainder of Genesis 1 we would find that God created the planets, the stars, the dry ground, the plants and animals and everything else that goes into making the world as we know it.
3. Now, when God made all of this stuff, He didn’t just let it go and do whatever it wanted to. He didn’t just create the world and then let it be.
4. No, God established some rules, some guidelines, some laws of nature to make things work.
a. For instance, it’s God who invented this whole gravity thing. Can you imagine what the world would be like without gravity?
- Can you imagine what it would be like trying to drink without gravity? You go to take a drink and your milk goes up your nose.
b. And tell me, what would we do without evaporation and condensation?
- Man, you think the drought we’ve been experiencing in some places is tough, it’s nothing compared to what the place would be like if God hadn’t figured out all of that watering the earth stuff.
5. No, God knew how the place was supposed to work so He made laws to make the place operate like He wanted it to.
B. Well, the world is not the only thing God created.
1. He also created marriage, the family and the home.
2. Just as God created the world and then put laws into place to make it all operate correctly, He also put in place certain laws for how people in a family are to function.
3. Over the past couple of weeks we have examined what God said about marriage and parenting.
C. This morning I want to look at what God says about children – how they should act within the context of the family as a whole.
1. Open your Bibles this morning and turn with me please to Eph 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.  Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)  That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
2. In these 3 verses, we find the basic responsibilities of children to their parents and we will look at them right after we have
Now, we could look at many different things that go into being a good child, but it all boils down to the two commands given in these verses; the two commands that will allow us to deal with our parents regardless of our age in a godly manner. Number one, God says to children:
I. OBEY YOUR PARENTS: Ephes. 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
A. Now, before we progress any further, let’s think for a moment about who we are talking about
1. When we say Children - The word translated here as “children” does not mean infant. There are other words which mean the same as infant.
a. No, the word “children” here is a general word for off spring.
b. It’s just talking about children in general, no age is in view.
c. From birth to young people, as long as they are under parental care and control, you are their child - Children equals off spring.