Summary: A reminder that when we try just a little harder proving our obedience and when we recognize our inability and His complete ability, then we will find the blessings from being involved in His work!
Two Texans were trying to impress each other with the size of their ranches. One asked the other, “What’s the name of your ranch?” He replied, “The Rocking R, ABC, Flying W Circle C, Bar U, Staple Four, Box D, Rolling M, Rainbow’s End, Silver Spur Ranch.” The questioner was much impressed and exclaimed, “Whew! That’s sure some name! How many head of cattle do you run?” The rancher answered, “Not many. Very few survive the branding.”
You and I have received
- no lesser a calling or branding as disciples of Jesus.
- no lesser a “branding” as followers of Jesus Christ – for the Rest of Our Life!
KEY QUOTE: Chris Surber says it this way!
“The calling to follow Jesus is an all consuming, all encompassing, call which rightly consumes the rest of our lives!”
The Disciples were All Ordinary People! –
One was even A Tax Collector - despised by his countrymen
Several were Fishermen - did not possess a particularly high level of education
One was a Political Zealot – like one of our politicians
All the disciples were just Common Ordinary Folk – like you and I!
Each of us, if truly a branded disciple, have received a CALLING on our life – a Calling of The Master!
It was said, “The great purpose of the Christian life is rooted in the blessed hope that we have received. This is the very same blessed hope of the disciples after they witnessed the resurrection of Jesus and they were transformed from a band of ordinary people into a band of ordinary people with an extraordinary mission and power – a Witness for Jesus.”
TITLE: THE REST OF OUR LIVES
TEXT: LUKE 5:1-11
READ & EXPLAIN VERSES 1-2
– Luke 4.14-15
The crowds were very enthused by His message;
“Lake of “Gen-nes-a-ret” = Sea of Galilee
- Large bell shaped nets – very heavy
- Several Heavy weights - to make the nets sink
- Large heavy rope to pull net together
- As the net would fall, it would trap the fish
READ AND EXPLAIN VERSES 3-5
Notice Simon’s response – “Master (Teacher), we’ve been working all night…”
Obviously he was very skeptical about catching “a good catch” as Jesus was implying.
Can you blame Simon and his friends? They were tired. They had been working all night and even well into the day to get ready for the next days work – JUST AS WE DO EVERY DAY!
We know the feeling – there are days we just don’t feel like lifting another step because of what we’ve done and what we’ve got to do!
from Peter’s response to the Lord’s instruction (READ AGAIN VERSE 5b)
- It is not past experience, our own knowledge OR wisdom which produces results in the Christian life;
- Often, it is little more than a WILLINGNESS TO TRY - PLUS – OBEDIENCE to the Lord!
How many great works of God have gone undone because of the lack of willingness to trust God and just try a little?
Peter didn’t believe that it was worthwhile to cast the nets -
but he was WILLING TO TRY and GOD BROUGHT A GREAT CATCH!
- This same principal, when applied to our lives holds the key for us to experience the extraordinary power of God in our lives!
(think about it!)
- What might we accomplish for God if we are willing to TRY & TRUST GOD?
Who can measure the might of what God can do in the life of His Church
Who can measure the might of what God can do in the life of one individual, when we let go of failures, disappointments, lean not on our own understanding and try; trusting Him with the results!
READ PHILIPPIANS 3:10-14 (this is exactly what Paul was trying to say)
-Ordinary People to do the Extraordinary by FAITH – through HIS POWER!
READ VERSE 6 & 7
Can you imagine! What would your response be? Notice Simon’s response…
READ VERSE 8-10a – RE-EMPHASIZE VERSE 8
2nd PRINCIPLE - Simon’s Response
1. Simon had recognized Jesus was more than a Teacher –the Messiah – promised one!
2. He is overcome by the majesty of Christ.
When one admits their inability and their sin, THEN they are able to depend on God & his ability!
V. McGee: “Necessary to total dependence upon God is recognition of HIS awesome worth AND MY TOTAL & ABSOLUTE NEED FOR HIS GRACE, HIS POWER AND HIS LEADING!
(READ IT AGAIN!)
1. God called ORDINARY PEOPLE into THE EXTRAORDINARY LIFE of FOLLOWING JESUS.
2. He has called us to Cast Our Nets into the deep waters of this world so that we can reap a GREAT HARVEST of souls for the Kingdom!