Summary: This is a verse by verse look at Revelation chapter 20.
The Revelation Of Jesus Christ – Chapter 20
I. Things Which Thou Hast Seen – Rev 1
II. Things Which Are – The Church Age – Rev 2-3
III. Things Which Are To Come – Rev 4-22
A. The Throne Of God – Rev 4
B. The Seven Seals Book – Rev 5
C. The First Six Seals Are Opened – Rev 6
D. The Sealing Of The Saved – Rev 7
E. The Lamb Opens The Seventh Seal – The First Four Trumpets Sound – Rev 8
F. Sounding of the Fifth and Sixth Trumpets – Rev 9
G. The Little Book – Rev 10
H. The Measuring Rod – The Two Witnesses – The Seventh Trumpet Sounds – Rev 11
I. The Woman and the Dragon – Rev 12
J. The Beasts – The Unholy Trinity – Rev 13
K. The Lamb on Mount Zion – Rev 14
L. The 7 Vials Of God’s Wrath – Rev 15-16
M. God’s Judgment On The Great Harlot – Rev 17
N. God’s Judgment On Babylon – Rev 18
O. The Marriage Of Christ And His Bride – Rev 19
P. The Millennial Reign of Christ – Rev 20
The subject of Revelation 20 is the Millennium – the thousand year reign of Christ before Satan is set free for a short period of time. This chapter is only 15 verses long but it reaches a span of time that is 1000 years long.
Rev 20:1-3 (NASB) “Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.”
1. John sees (The first vision in this chapter) – v. 1-3 Satan bound
A. an angel – v. 1
(1) coming down from heaven
(2) holding the key of the abyss
(3) holding a great chain in his hand
(4) taking hold of the dragon – v. 2
a. the serpent of old
b. the devil
(5) binding the dragon for a thousand years
(6) throwing the dragon into the abyss – v. 3
(7) shutting the abyss
(8) sealing the abyss
a. to prevent the dragon
- from deceiving the nations for a 1000 years – Rev 12:9
*he will be released for a short time after this
This is not the final judgment of Satan. He is placed into the abyss as a holding place for a thousand years.
In our day the Devil gets the credit for a lot of sin. Friend you ought to understand something’s about the Devil.
1. He is not God … therefore he is not omnipresent… he cannot be in more than one place at one time.
2. He is not God … therefore he is not omnipotent … he cannot make you do anything.
3. He is not God … therefore he is not omniscience … he does not know all things. He does know your yesterday or tomorrow.
The devil is our enemy but he is not our greatest enemy. Who is our greatest enemy – it is us – it is what we call the flesh. The Bible says: