Summary: What does mercy look like & the reward of mercy
1. Opposite of Mercy - Revenge
We like stories where the bad guy gets his dues
Trucker is in a restaurant minding own business and a motorcycle gang begins to harass trucker.
One in particular got right in his face. "Big man in the 18 wheeler, out of your truck you’re a wimp", he shouted, pouring coffee all over his food. Trucker pays his bill and walks out.
The biker says to the waitress, "He’s not much of a man out of his truck"
Waitress causally shoots back, "not much of a truck diver either he just ran over 6 motorcycles on the way out."
- It seems like revenge is the theme of half the movies shown in theaters today.
Scripture tells us - don’t take revenge.
Proverbs 17:9 (AV)
9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.
- We have come to a transition from the first four, which focus on our need
• We are bankrupt in spirit – We have a need we can’t fix ourselves – Mt 5:3
• Broken with grief - Mourning over our sin – Mt. 5:4
• Which leads to meekness - A surrender of ourselves – Mt. 5:5
• Should lead to a hunger for God – His righteousness Mt. 5:6
3. Beatitudes Transition to Mercy
So far to do with our need
What do I believe? – How I think
We now move to how I act my behavior, responsibility
What it means to follow Jesus
- Mt. 5:7 - Blessed are the mercy full”
- (Those "full" of mercy)
Mercy is to feel the pain of another so deeply that we’re compelled to do something about it
4. What Does Mercy Look Like?
2 Sa 9 – David’s Kindness to Mephibosheth
- Show kindness restored to him Saul’s property
- Five times speaks of eating at the Kings table
Lk. 10:25-37 – Mercy of the Samaritan
- Samaritan was an outcast showing mercy to a Jew
- Here was one on a lonely & dangerous path beaten & robbed
- Do I walk pass the needy lying in the road
- Does fear, embarrassment, helplessness harden my heart to mercy
- Samaritan mercy did not expect recognition & praise
- Both in OT & NT could have held a grudge
“Holding grudges is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
- Jesus sees sinners as sick and miserable people in need of a physician
5. The Reward Of Mercy
- The lawyer’s question Luke 10:25 …. Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Luke 10:27–28 (AV)
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
- Both David & Samaritan put aside their honor & dignity for one in need
Mercy identifies with the needs of others.
It removes selfishness and self-centeredness
Demonstrated in real time of what we believe
When we let go of ourselves we enter into full freedom
6. Mercy Given
Don Richardson “Peace Child” – He was a missionary to the cannibalistic, headhunting Sawi tribe of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Try as he would, he could not find a way to make the people understand the gospel message, especially the significance of Christ’s atoning death on the cross.