Summary: The promise of God is upon every righteous believer to prosper in all areas of life. This prosperity is being likened to the flourishing of the palm tree.
THE RIGHTEOUS SHALL FLOURISH
Study Text: Psalm 92:12 - 15
- A righteous person is the one who has willfully and sincerely repented of his or her sins and has accepted the Lord Jesus as his or her Lord and personal Saviour (The Imputed Righteousness).
- As a result of the imputed righteousness, the person begins to walk in newness of life, abstaining from sins and fleshly lusts and living in obedience to the word of God with a steadfast hope of eternal rest in heaven after this world. (The Acquired Righteousness).
- The word of God says he will flourish like a palm tree. That is a promise of prosperity with a picture in mind.
- So we shall discuss the topic under three sub-headings:
1. The Picture of the Righteous
2. The Promise to the Righteous
3. The Prosperity of the Righteous
1. The Picture of the Righteous
- Let us notice some traits of the palm tree which has its counterpart in the palm tree saint.
i. The palm tree has deep roots which go down until they strike the living springs of water.
- This signifies anchorage and nourishment of the righteous. He is deeply rooted in Christ and His words, and derives nourishment day-in day-out from Him.
- He cannot be easily uprooted or blown away with a heavy storm. This indicates the steadfastness of the believer in the truth of the word of God in the midst of challenges.
ii. The palm tree is an evergreen tree.
- This characteristically typifies the constant freshness of the Spirit-filled life.
- Nearly all of the fruit-bearing trees put on their beauty in the spring of the year. Then when the cold winter approaches, they shed their foliage and the life goes down into the roots.
- This is typical of many Christians who are only vibrant for the Lord in one season and fade away spiritually in another season.
- Such unstable people are described as being lukewarm, and cannot receive the promises of the Lord.
iii. The palm tree usually grows very tall with leaves at the top end.
- This makes it beautiful to behold and gives shade for people to find relief from the heat of the sun.
- The life of a palm tree saint is very pleasant to people and will also bring comfort, joy and blessings to others.
- The Holy Ghost imparts a Christ-like character, a tenderness of speech, and gives him a winning disposition, a power to draw, and a heavenly influence.
- God wants to beautify the saints until they will be attractive and manifest the sweetness of Jesus to a lost world.
- That is why He described the believer as the light of the world and the salt of the earth. Mathew 5: 13 -16
iv. The palm tree has many uses.
- Almost every part is very useful. The fruit is used to make palm oil, shaft from the fruit is used locally to generate fire for cooking, the leaves can be used for brooms, and for making temporary roofs in huts, the sap is taken as palm wine, while the stem are used as beams of various application.
- The life of a palm tree saint is relevant and profitable in many aspects of life. He will be of a profit in the home, in the community, in the Church, in the place of work, even in foreign places.