Summary: God always redeems us when we humble ourselves and let Him do so.
• The longer we walk with God the more He will refine us…if we let Him
• God’s goal is to build us and refine us and circumstances will do that
• And He will use all we go through if we trust Him…Romans 8:28…but if we don’t!
• When it gets redundant or repetitive…things start to get hard
• They complained about water at the beginning of their journey and they were complaining about it 40 years later at the end…Numbers 20:1-13
• These people are struggling with the same things we have hassles with…food, water, clothes, battles
• They failed this test once already (bitterness of the waters of Marah)…
• They are thirsting both physically and spiritually (like us)
• And they are not trusting
• They have conflicts…battles…like us…that is life
Exodus 17:5-6, “Moses cried out to the Lord, saying, “What shall I do to this people? A little more and they will stone me.” 5Then the Lord said to Moses, “Pass before the people…and take in your hand your staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6“Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.”
I. The Struggles Of Life
• What is God doing here?
• Allowing conflicts to come on His people?
• This is life isn’t it…He uses the school of life to build people
• To reveal Himself
• And for leaders when people aren’t happy, neither are you!
• They called the place…Massah and Meribah…to test and to quarrel or contend
• There is the water issue and the Amalekite issue
• But more than that there is the issue of how to live…in the daily struggles
• The biggest issue here is a heart issue
• The picture is clear…live on two levels
• One in God and one on earth…make sure they meet!
II. Getting Your Water From The Rock
• This whole story is for us…
I Corinthians 10:1-6, “For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness. 6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.”
• Drinking from the rock!!!
• The rock that has what we need…
• The rock was Jesus!!!
• Jesus was struck for us and living water flowed out