Summary: How are parents and children supposed to interact
Leave the house, leave the Lord.
THE ROLE OF CHRISTIAN CHILDREN. Verses 1-3
A. OBEY YOUR PARENTS. Verse 1.
1. In the original text the word which is translated “obey” comes from two words, under and to listen. A rigidly literal translation could be to listen under. What is in view here is a conscious and deliberate listening, listening so as to really hear
2. God’s word of wisdom to children is simple: Children, obey your parents in the Lord. It is a simple and straightforward word. How it is needed! I know this might be a shock to you, but children don’t always obey their parents! I heard of a mother who was asked by her three children what she would like for her birthday. She answered, “Three well-behaved children.” One of the children thought about her words for a moment and said, “Great! Then there will be six of us.”
5. WHY OBEY YOUR PARENTS?
a. It is commanded by God!
c. For your own well-being and safety!
B. HONOR YOUR PARENTS. Verse 2.
1. To honor means to place value on, to put a price on.
2. It is not enough to just do what your parents say, but you must value them and respect their position.
a. The promise is two-fold. The first aspect of the promise is that it may be well with you. The second aspect of the promise is that you may live long on the earth. In other words, if you honor and obey your parents, life will be less a hassle and they won’t kill you. Quite a promise! Seriously, God does promise that life will be easier if we obey our parents. Hassles at home will be fewer, and life will have a more peaceful and joyous quality to it. Generally, this will result in a longer and healthier life.
4. You have a choice to make as a child, you can obey God or disobey. If a parent is trying to lead a child to sin, then they are to obey God as we are to do in all areas of submission.
5. The children’s rights movement has done nothing except to try to undermine the home. Parents do not have the right to beat and mentally torture their children, but they have a God given responsibility for their upbringing in the Lord!
THE ROLE OF CHRISTIAN PARENTS. Verse 4
A. DO NOT PROVOKE YOUR CHILDREN.
1. One way is through unreasonableness.
2. Fault-finding is another way in which we can provoke our children.
3. A real cause of provocation is inconsistency.
4. I believe one of the leading causes of angry, rebellious children is parents who do not demand obedience. There is a fascinating dynamic at work here. A subtle deception is perpetrated on parents which leads us to believe that if we capitulate to the demands of our tantrum-throwing kids, they will be happy, not angry. After all, they do seem very angry when they are throwing their tantrums. Don’t we just add to their angry behavior when we don’t let them have their way? But this is the deception. When we do not demand obedience from our children, and let them have their way every time they throw a fit, we simply reinforce and encourage angry behavior as a means for them to get their way.