Summary: THE ROMANCE OF REDEMPTION
Ruth 1:1-7 THE ROMANCE OF REDEMPTION
Ch 1: Weeping, Ch 2: Working, Ruth gleaning in the harvest field
Ch 3: Waiting, 3:18 Sit still, my daughter, until thou know how the matter will fall:
Ch 4 Wedding. So we go from
Ch 1 Sorrow to Ch 2 Service, to Ch 3 Submission to Ch 4, Satisfaction.
1. THE PERIOD 1 Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
(a) A TIME OF APATHY: - The 12 tribes of Israel had failed to possess the land, and to claim it for their inheritance. - Settled with their enemies in the Land
(b) A TIME OF APOSTASY:
They had departed from the worship of the true God and served Baal.
Judges 2:11-13 And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim: 12 And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger. 13 And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.
The Hebrew text is far more strongly worded “ The children of Israel did the evil.”
They threw themselves into the supreme sin, the sin of all sin. - Idolatry
(c) A TIME OF ANARCHY: Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
A Day of Darkness, and Disobedience, and Disgrace.
2. THE PROBLEM 1 Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land.
Bethlehem means “ house of bread,” There was,
(a) A NATIONAL Departure from God: - Leviticus Ch 26
1. What is Commanded by God: They were to,
* Refrain from Idolatry: 1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
* Regard the Sabbath: 2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths,
* Revere His Sanctuary: 2 and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
* Respect God’s Law: 3 If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
14 But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
15 And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:
16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
(b) A PERSONAL Departure from God: 2 And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
Boaz remained in the famine. But Elimelech departed.
1. In its Origin, Moral Impurity: Do you recall how the Moabites came into being ? Gen 19:35-38 Lots daughters drunkeness Moab & Ammon Born.