Summary: How does the Bible define marriage? Why did God institute marriage in the first place? It must be clear from the outset that our final authoritative standard for our lives is the Word of God. God’s standards do not change.
THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE
INTRODUCTION: This coming week Congress is slated to vote on a Federal Amendment defining marriage. There are those who want to establish a traditional definition of marriage. Others oppose any traditional definition and are seeking to redefine marriage. The battle lines are drawn. The sanctity of marriage is under attack like never before. How does the Bible define marriage? Why did God institute marriage in the first place? It must be clear from the outset that our final authoritative standard for our lives is the Word of God. God’s standards do not change. Let us consider what the Bible says about the sanctity of marriage.
I. Marriage is between one man and one woman.
B. The biblical standard of marriage is a man and a woman.
D. Both the Old and New Testament words translated wife literally mean woman. One man – one woman.
E. This standard precludes polygamy
1. … they two shall be one flesh?
2. Marriage is a covenant joining a man and a woman. Covenants in the Bible are always made between two individuals or parties.
3. Once when Mark Twain was lecturing in Utah, a Mormon acquaintance argued with him on the subject of polygamy. After a long and rather heated debate, the Mormon finally said, "Can you find for me a single passage of Scripture which forbids polygamy?" "Certainly," replied Twain. "’No man can serve two masters.’"
4. Ephesians 5:22-23 (quickview)  Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
5. Ecclesiastes 9:9 (quickview)  Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of the life of your vanity, which he has given you under the sun, all the days of your vanity: for that is your portion in this life, and in your labor which you take under the sun.
F. This standard precludes same sex marriage
1. One man – one woman. God instituted marriage between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
2. Homosexual behavior is sin and a violation of nature.
4. Leviticus 20:13 (quickview) , "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood-guiltness is upon them"
5. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (quickview) , "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
6. Romans 1:26-28 (quickview) , "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."