Summary: Young girls/give up/purity because they are lost sea/emotions. Men abandon/families because they get caught/emotions
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
March 2, 2014
The Sea Of Emotions
Intro: Passage opens/ten/Joseph’s brother’s leaving Canaan.
• Second trip to Egypt to buy grain.
• Came face/face/Prime Minister of the country.
• Didn’t know/Joseph/sold/slavery 20 years earlier.
• Joseph knew exactly who they were!
• Used/meeting/try get them/understand/guilt/past.
• Joseph imprisoned Simeon
• Sent home to get Benjamin/don’t return w/o him.
So, they headed back home.
• discovered/money/paid/grain/returned/sacks of grain
• caused them/even more afraid
• Long story short/used up all/grain/headed back/Egypt again.
V. 15 took Joseph a present; double/money/Benjamin.
• They/ushered/Joseph’s presence
• when he sees Benjamin is with them,
• He invites them to his house for lunch, v. 16-17.
Verses describe scene/filled/emotions.
• Fear/relief/gratitude/joy all mingle together in this poignant reunion between Joseph and his brothers.
Take/passage and preach/subject The Sea Of Emotions
• Emotions/something/deal/every day/our lives.
• They/powerful/can control our lives if we allow them to
• Emotions/feelings/not bad in/of themselves.
• Must remember our emotions arise/minds/souls.
• Since/fallen creatures, our emotions have been affected too.
• means not everything we feel is right or proper
Learn/check our emotions against the Word of God
• We need to ensure we are not led astray by our feelings.
• This happens far too often in people’s lives
Young girls/give up/purity because they are lost sea/emotions.
Men abandon/families because they get caught/emotions
Families/churches are ripped apart because people allow emotions like anger, bitterness and resentment control them.
• Of course, God works in our emotions too
Uses/natural responses we have/events of life to teach us about Him/His will and what He is doing in our lives.
• That/what /passage teaches us about today
• reunion scene/between brothers
• we see 12 men who are Swimming In A Sea Of Emotion.
I want you to see The Brothers and Their Fear; Joseph and His Feelings, and The Family and Their Feast.
I. v. 18-24 THE BROTHERS AND THEIR FEARS
When these men are brought into Joseph’s house, they become “afraid”
• Word means “to be filled with dread.”
• convinced that they have been lead into a trap.
• Sure/Joseph/going/arrest them/put them into prison, v. 18.
• They express their fears/steward Joseph’s house, v. 19-22.
He comforts them the best he can, even telling them God was looking out for them in all their troubles, v. 23.
• Then he brings out Simeon to them, v. 23
• Gives them water to wash their feet/sign/great respect.
• Gives them food for their animals/sign/hospitality, v. 24.