Summary: God’s salvation seal begins with His Promises:
God’s salvation seal begins with His Promises:
Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” (NIV)
Titus 1:2 “A faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time.” (NIV)
The Promises are revealed by the work of the Holy Spirit to our Inheritance in Christ. Ephesians 1:11-14
How is this accomplished?
1. By the Effectual Call of the Holy Spirit: vs.11 “In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.” (NIV)
The Holy Spirit opens our eyes to understand what Christ has done for us. John 16:8-11
2. By the Glorification of Jesus through the Holy Spirit: vs.12 “in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.” (NIV)
Practical point: Since the work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Jesus. Anything that detracts from the person or work of Jesus is not of the Holy Spirit. 1 John 4:2-3
3. By revelation of the Word and Spirit: vs.13“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation.” (NIV)
As God reveals Himself to us in three ways:
• Revelation of God in History.
• Revelation of God in the written word, the Bible.
• Revelation of God to the heart and mind of the individual by the Holy Spirit.
4. All guaranteed by God’s seal of salvation our inheritance for eternal life: vs.13-14 “Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.” (NIV)
Security: Daniel in the Loin’s Den.
Authenticity: Jezebel and false letters.
Ownership: We are God’s possession.
Authority: The muscle behind the seal.
Given to us as God’s Pledge: vs.14a “who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession…” (NIV)
2 Corinthians 1:22 and 5:5
All for the Glory of God: vs.14b “to the praise of his glory.” (NIV)
Isaiah 43:20-21 “The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.” (NIV)