Summary: Being born again; a necessity
Topic: The second birth
Text: John 3:3
Introduction: In our lives we all have a defining moment.
For some athletes their defining moment happened on the field of play
For some soldiers their defining moment happened on the field of Battle
For Christians their defining moment should be their rebirth into Christ.
The question for all of us today is ‘have you had your defining moment in Christ?’
I. What is being born again?
A. The act of the physical rebirth is impossible
B. John 3:5 says, “…except a man be born of water and of the Spirit…”
C. Being born again is a spiritual rebirth
1. The work of the Spirit of God whereby men are given God’s life and nature and made a part of the family of God.
2. Titus 3:5 says, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit”
3. Through regeneration we receive a new nature and new spiritual desires
E. BEING BORN AGAIN IS HAVING A REGENERATED LIFE IN CHRIST
II. Why should we be born again?
Jesus said “Verily, Verily I say unto thee…” which in His time meant HEY, LISTEN UP, THIS IS IMPORTANT!
A. It is of God’s will
1. James 1:18 says, “He CHOSE to give us birth through the word of truth…”
2. The ability to be born again is a gift from God, given freely to everyone
B. It is of God’s mercy
1. Titus 3:5 says, “but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit”
2. He chooses to give us this gift not because we earn it, but because of His mercy
C. It is for God’s glory
1. Isaiah 43:7 says, “everyone who is called by My name, whom I created for My glory…”
2. You are special to God, enough so that He calls you to glorify Him
D. It is required for entrance into the kingdom
1. John 3:5 says, “…except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God”
2. When you sin you become separated from God
a. God has no part in sin, neither does sin have a part in God
b. Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God”
c. We are all separated from God by the sins we commit
3. The only way to get atonement for your sin is to be born again
a. Atonement means “at-one-ment” or to become one with God’s will
b. II Peter 3:9 says, “The Lord is…not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance”
c. God wants you to become born again and be saved, but the decision is up to you
d. This decision determines your eternal destiny
E. WE WILL NOT EVEN SEE THE KINGDOM OF GOD UNLESS WE ARE BORN AGAIN
III. How do we become born again?
A. Being born again is a decision only you can make
B. John 1:12,13 says, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God”
1. Everyone in here has been born of blood, but it won’t save you
a. Your physical birth does not make you become a son of God