Summary: Second Commandment
1. People are worshippers. What is suggested in the Commandments? “If you will indeed obey My voice and keep My commandments . . . then you shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Ex. 19:5).
2. Worship reflects God. How should people worship? “God is spirit, and they that worship Him, must worship Him in spirit and truth” (John 4:24).
3. An idol rejects the Father. Why is it wrong to worship the Father with “representatives”, i.e., idols? “Them that hate me” (v. 5).
4. An idol replaces the Father. People begin using “something” to help them worship, but end up worshipping the “thing.”
5. Worship and bow down before the Father. What is the positive side of the Second Commandment? “Do not make idols of any kind . . . you must never worship or bow down to them” (v. 3).
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments” (Ex. 20:4-6, NKJV).
“But all idol worshippers . . . will be cast into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death” (Rev. 21:8).
B. WHAT DOES EACH WORD/PHRASE MEAN?
1. Thou shalt not make.
a. Create an idol.
b. Substitute anything in place of Me.
2. For yourself, i.e., your initiative or pleasure.
3. Carved (graven), i.e., sculpted, your best.
4. Image . . . likeness. “Let us make man in Our image, after Our likeness” (Gen. 1:26).
5. Heaven . . . earth . . . water. The Living Bible translates this birds, animals, and fish.
6. Bow down yourself. Worship is reserved for God.
7. Serve them.
a. Give money or sacrifice to idols.
b. Obey or please idols.
8. I am the Lord your God, a jealous God, i.e., intolerant of rivalry.
9. Visiting, i.e., charging. When you worship an idol, you run up the debt on your children’s credit card.
10. Iniquity, Aven root, “to be bent or controlled, i.e., a tree limb bent out of direction.
11. Them that hate Me, i.e., to reject Me is to hate Me.
12. Showing mercy, i.e., forgiveness.
13. Thousands, i.e., generations.
14. Love Me and keep My commandments.
a. To love Me is to place Me first.
b. To obey Me is to follow My directions.
C. IDOLATRY DEFIES LOGIC
1. You were created in My image, and then you turn around and create something in My image. You become god-makers.
2. You think you are honoring Me, but you are bringing Me down to your level. You are guilty of god-minimizing.
3. You think you are worshipping Me, but you are worshipping yourselves. We are a god-compromisers.
4. I want you to recognize who I am and what I have done for you. I made you a worshipper.
D. OUR IDOLATRY
1. Michelangelo said, “Look within the marble to discover what is there, then sculpt it accordingly.”
a. You look within your heart, and then make a god of it.
b. Your god is money, possessions, hobbies, achievements, etc.
c. Anything that you make in My place is an idol.
2. Look within My nature to discover who I am, then worship Me.
a. Worship Me for My holiness and justice, i.e., punishment.
b. Worship Me for My mercy, i.e., forgiveness.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.