Summary: What to do when you need encouragement.
1 SAM. 30:1-6 "THE SECRET OF ENCOURAGEMENT"
A) All of us have our crisis days when everything seems to fall apart.
* Days when it looks as if we have come to the end of the road & that God has turned against us!
* In this chapter, we see David experiencing such a crisis! * Here’s what happened!
B) He had just returned from battle to discover that the enemy had attacked his camp.
* They had taken all their goods & worse yet, kidnapped all the wives and children.
C) So serious was the situation that his own men talked about stoning him.
* How did David face this crisis? * He encouraged himself in the Lord his God!
D) A crisis does not make a man, it reveals what the man is made of!
* What we really are is revealed for everyone to see when a crisis comes our way.
E) It’s interesting to see how David’s men reacted when they discovered their terrible loss.
* Some sat and wept until they had no more tears to shed - v.4,
* Others complained & blamed David & some even suggested that they stone their leader - v.6!
F) You wonder how that would’ve solved the problem, yet people do the same thing today!
* How easy it is in a crisis to blame somebody else or to look for a scapegoat!
* But what did David do? * Well, he shed tears like the rest of the soldiers because he loved
them too! * But after that, he stopped feeling sorry for himself & turned to the Lord for help!
* "But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God."
G) How can you and I today get the encouragement we need in the crisis hours of our life?
* Certainly the Lord is able to carry us through; nothing is impossible with God!
* There is no problem of life too difficult for Him to solve!
H) What should we do in order to receive God’s gracious encouragement?
* Let me suggest some simple steps, in fact, the very same steps David took!
(1) SURRENDER TO THE WILL OF GOD! * v.7 David asked the priest to bring him the ephod
which was a priestly device for determining the will of God.
A) David asked the Lord if he should pursue the enemy and God told him yes - v.8
* Then David asked if he and his men would recover their loved ones & their possessions and
again, God told him yes!
* So before David made any move, he first determined the will of God in the matter.
* Story of man who bought a new car! * James 4:13-16 "Go to now, ye that say, Today or ......."
B) God knows the end from the beginning & He knew long ago that you would need His help
today! * So when a crisis comes, the 1st thing we should do is surrender to the will of the Lord!
* God has a purpose to fulfill & if we surrender to Him, it’ll work out for our good & His glory!
* To fight God’s will, complain or blame others is but to miss the blessing God has for us in
these experiences! * Gal.6:5 "For every man shall bear his own burden."
C) David encouraged himself in the Lord his God by surrendering to God’s will.
* But David didn’t stop there - he did something else!
(2) HE ASKED GOD FOR STRENGTH! * He needed strength to do what needed to be done!
* David & his men were tired from the battle, & the emotional strain of the crisis had weakened