Summary: The failure to keep God’s rules results in an erosion of the power to perform effective as a Christian
Scripture: Judges 16:1 –
Title: “The Secret of My Success!”
Introduction: The story of Samson has caused more stories, books, and movies to be produced than a person would want to count!
· Most every one have emphasized three main points: Samson’s great strength – His love affairs, and his dreadful failures!
But, where did Samson get his great ability? (What was the Secret of his Success?)
· God brought about the events that led up to the birth of Samson.
· Samson & his great strength was the product of God-led parents who were dedicated to doing the will of God.
· God gave the instructions as to the rules surrounding Samson’s life. (He as to be a Nazirite unto the Lord)
· The evidence of Samson’s parents having followed God’s instructions are seen in that the Spirit of the Lord began to move Samson early in his life. Judges 13:25
· Samson began to realize what was going on with God’s people & his mission.
Breaking the Rules! – (“Samson didn’t lose his great strength right away”)
· Samson set his heart to have a Philistine woman as a wife. (Wrong!)
· Samson handled the carcass of a dead lion & took honey from it. (Wrong!)
· Samson had immoral relations with a Gaza harlot (16:1), and with Delilah (16:4-20).(Wrong!)
The Erosion of Power! – (“Something kept Samson going in the Wrong Direction!”)
· Samson was able to retain his great strength even though he was breaking the rules.
· It appears Samson was pushing the limits with every situation he encountered with the Philistines.
· Samson allowed himself to be bound with ropes & used his supernatural strength to break them as if they were burnt strands of cloth. (burnt flax)
· Even after he engaged in immoral relationships with harlots he still was able to break free of the enemies bondages.
· HOW? – “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” Rom. 11:29
· God was honoring His calling on Samson’s life not the lifestyle!
When MERCY Ran out! – “I will do as before and shake myself free.” Judges 16:20
· Samson had taken God for granted for the last time in his life!
· Samson did not know he had lost his ABILITY to defend himself!
· Samson had become calloused to breaking the rules.
· Samson had lost his sensitivity to God’s conviction!
· “He wist not that the LORD had departed from him.”
· Samson’s enemies began to have their way with him.
Samson’s ‘Secret of Success’ was discovered because of his headstrong attitude!
· Ultimately, Samson proved little more than a thorn in the flesh to the Philistines.
· Samson’s fascination with Delilah finally wrought his downfall.
Samson’s losses far outweighed him achievements – What a price tag!