Summary: What does it really take to have a real revival in our church. The blueprint is found in the first two chapters of Acts.
The Secret of REAL Revival; Part 2
Last Sunday we talked about what it would take for REAL REVIVAL to happen here at FBC Runnelstown. I said that many may want the meetings but that very few want REAL REVIVAL.
I said that there were three “P’s” of REAL REVIVAL with the first being Prayer. We saw that if we wanted REAL Revival that we were going to need to pray for it. That those prayers should not be hurried up prayers but we should persevere in prayer until we get what we want. I also said that those prayers would unite us much like it did the disciples in the upper room and that it would stir our hearts as the Holy Spirit stirred us to action.
Today we are going to look at the final two “P’s” of REAL REVIVAL.
A. Peter’s sermon on Pentecost day:
1. It is recorded in Acts 2:14-40.
a) Here we see preaching at its greatest.
(1) Rather long and I will not read it all.
(2) If you will read it latter you will find every element there that makes for great preaching.
2. I trust that, with the preachers coming for our revival beginning tonight, that we will hear some great preaching.
a) In the messages we hear this week we will find all the elements that make for great preaching.
b) Preaching that can help lead us to experiencing REAL REVIVAL.
B. There are many kinds of preaching but only one kind that will bring REAL REVIVAL.
1. It takes Preaching the Word of God to bring REAL REVIVAL!
a) God has so arranged it that it is the preaching of His Word that brings men to repentance.
(1) “…it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.” (1 Corinthians 1:21)
(a) This will cause people to turn from their wicked ways.
(2) This will, in turn, bring REAL REVIVAL to his people.
(a) “Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.” (2 Timothy 4:2)
(b) “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)
b) I am 100% convinced that if we are going to have revival that we must have great preaching!
(1) It must be the preaching of God’s Word.
c) I know these men who are coming and I can stand here this morning and tell you that WE WILL have Biblical preaching this week.
(1) I want you to know that, even if I wasn’t your pastor, I would be here every night.
(a) I want to hear these men preach God’s Word.
(i) THEY ARE MEN OF GOD COMING TO PREACH THE WORD OF GOD TO THE PEOPLE OF GOD FOR THE GLORY OF GOD!
2. It takes preaching that deals with sin to bring Real Revival.
a) It is sin that is sending men’s souls to Hell.
b) It is sin that is robbing Christians of their rewards.
c) Therefore preaching that will revive souls must turn the spotlight on sin in the lives of the church members and the lost people
(1) We, as a rule, don’t like this kind of preaching.
(a) We like to think better of ourselves than we really are.