Summary: THE SECRET POWER OF LAWLESSNESS
GOD’S DIRECT COVERING
“THE SECRET POWER OF LAWLESSNESS”
I: Jesus said, “Take heed that no man deceive you.” Matt 24:4
A. Deception is a scary thing: Why?
a. When a person is deceived, they believe with all their heart that they are right when, in reality, they are wrong.
1. When the disciples asked Jesus about His return, Jesus warned His disciples, “Take heed that no one deceives you.”
B. Two Important Question
a. We must ask two important questions;
1. First, what is the root cause of deception?
2. Second, why is this deception able to run its course unchecked?
b. To answer the first, the root cause of deception is none other than what we discussed in the previous lesson;
1. “Disobedience to divine authority, or lawlessness.”
2. James 1:22 says, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only,
deceiving your own selves.”
N> Scripture is saying, “when a person hears the Word of God yet does not
obey, deception enters.”
N> This person is living under the conviction that they are on target when
they are living in error;
N> Where there is no true submission to God’s authority, which includes
the authority of His Word, the door is opened to deception.
c. Why will deception run rampant in the last days?
1. Paul told us many will be deceived, “Because they did not receive the love of the truth?” II Thess. 2
1b. To love the truth is not just to enjoy hearing it, but to love
2. God spoke to Ezekiel and said, “"As for you, son of man, your countrymen are talking together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, saying to each other, 'Come and hear the message that has come from the Lord.'
My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Ezek 33:30-32 NIV
N> Many in church love good preaching and teaching but when it comes
down to reality, they still love their own ways more than they love Gods;
** Paul told Timothy, “For men shall be lovers of their own
selves,…more than lovers of God; 2 Tim 3:2, 4
N> I must love truth more than anyone or anything in my life.
N> And I must passionately desire His will more than my comfort or life;
II: The Secret Power of Lawlessness:
A. There is another factor to consider in understanding why lawlessness is so rampant in our day:
a. 2 Thess 2:7 says, “For the mystery of iniquity doth already work:”
1. Iniquity means, “To violate the law, or to be lawless:”
2. Notice that this iniquity is a “mystery,’ meaning, it’s work is very silent and almost undetectable;
1a. The mystery is hidden in its secret power;
N> Lawlessness would not be effective if blatant, to a believer, so it comes
wrapped in a religious cloak and is subtle and deceptive;
B. Satan is the master of deception, even he can be transformed into an angel of light;