Summary: The Sermon on the Mount (part 1) - PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). The Listeners (vs 1)
(2). The Method (vs 2)
(3a). The Sermon (vs 3-6)
(3b). The Beatitudes (vs 3-6)
• Zach Zehnder, is a 31-year-old pastor from Florida.
• His claim to fame is that he recently broke one of the Guinness world records.
• The record he broke was for the Longest Speech Marathon.
• He broke the record by preaching the longest sermon ever;
• It lasted 53 hours and 18 minutes. He started on Friday and finished on Sunday.
• Now before you moan at the preacher!
• He was not insensitive to his congregation;
• He did it with their approval;
• His aim was to raise money for alcohol and drug-addiction treatment programmes.
• TRANSITION: This morning we are starting a new series called;
• ‘Dipping into Matthew’s Gospel’.
• And the first bit we are dipping into is the Sermon on the Mount.
• The Sermon on the Mount is the longest piece of teaching from Jesus in the gospels.
• It occupies chapters 5, 6 and 7 of the Gospel of Matthew.
• It will probably take you 20 minutes to read the recorded highlights;
• But I am sure it took Jesus a lot longer to preach it.
• This morning and next week we are looking that the first thirteen verses of this great sermon.
• I will be speaking on verses 1 to 6.
• Next week Alistair will be speaking on verses 7 to 13
• But be warned when John Wesley the seventeenth century an Anglican minister;
• Who along with his brother Charles Wesley;
• Is credited with the foundation of the Methodist Church.
• When he preached on Alistair’s verses;
• He wrote this entry into his Journal - dated October 19, 1739:
“At six almost the whole town (I was informed) came together, to whom I explained the six last Beatitudes; but my heart was so enlarged I knew not how to give over, so that we continued for three hours.”
• TRANSITION: Now I am sure he will not be preaching for three hours!
• If he does you have my permission to nod off.
• Reminds me of the story of the preacher who noticed a man asleep during his sermon;
• So he said to the man’s wife; “Madam, will you please wake up your husband”.
• She replied: “You put him to sleep, you wake him up!”
This morning we are looking at the first six verses of Jesus’ sermon;
• As mentioned it is the longest piece of teaching from Jesus in the gospels.
• And it includes some of the best known teachings of Jesus;
• Such as the Beatitudes, and the widely recited Lord's Prayer.
(1). The Listeners (vs 1)
• The audience listening to this sermon is made up of two groups of people:
• You have the inner circle of the disciples, and the outer circle of the "crowds."
• It says in verse 1 that Jesus taught his disciples.
• But look at the end of the sermon in Matthew chapter 7 verse 28,
• “When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching.”