Summary: We need to persevere, persist, keep on, and never give up as believers in Jesus Christ. We need to stand firm to the end. When our faith is challenged and opposed we need to persevere by sheer determination.
“The Seven Seals of God’s Wrath”
Scripture: Rev. 6:9-14; 7:1-14
In the studying for this sermon there will be another group redeemed from the earth a little after the Mid Tribulation 1,335 days to be exact.
Perseverance reveals genuine believers. To believe in Jesus and stand “firm to the end” will take perseverance, because our faith will be challenged and opposed. Severe trials will sift true Christians from fair-weather believers. Enduring to the end does not earn salvation for us, but marks us as already saved. The assurance of our salvation will keep us going through the times of persecution.
Perseverance reveals genuine faith. Because Christ lives in us, we can remain courageous and hopeful to the end. We are not saved by being steadfast and firm in our faith, but our courage and hope do reveal that our faith is real. Without this enduring faithfulness, we could easily be blown away by the winds of temptation, false teaching, or persecution. The Handbook on Bible Application, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. WHEATON, ILLINOIS
The last of the seven seals occur during the whole tribulation period. Some people will be martyred during the first 3 ½ years the numbers will be few, the last 3 ½ years the number will be catastrophic.
I. The Martyr’s Are Told to Wait :
1. Revelation 6:9 - 11 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” 11Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed.
2. There is no salvation in being a martyr.
3. For Paul says, 1 Corinthians 13:3 if I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4. If we as people do not love the Lord we gain nothing by being a martyr.
5. Those who get saved during the Tribulation period must be born again just like the rest of us.
6. We must believe and repent of our sins.
7. There must be a life change.
8. In order for their martyrdom to mean something.
9. Those saved during the first 3 ½ years are not likely to be martyred like those who are saved during the last 3 ½ years of the Great Tribulation period.
10. God tells those under the altar to wait a little longer till the rest of their fellow brothers in Christ were to be killed.
11. Then God will avenge them all at once.
The sixth seal occurs at the end of the Tribulation.
II. A Great Earthquake:
1. Revelation 6:12 - 17 I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, 13and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. 14The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.15Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16They called to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?”
2. These events will happen on the final day of the Tribulation period.
3. Another description of the same event in Matthew 24:29 - 31 29“Immediately after the distress of those days “‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’30“At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. 31And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
4. From one end of heaven to the other all the Christians will gather for the Millennium.
The story of heaven is described in chapters 4, 5, 19, 20 and the story of earth is described in chapters 6, 8, 9, 16, 19, and 20. All other chapters in between are informational chapters regarding the stories in heaven or earth.