Summary: Seventh Commandment
"You shall not commit adultery” (Ex. 20:14, NKJV).
I do not have a Commandment about worshipping Me in a temple or sanctuary. I plan to live in your body. I want to be glorified in your body and carry out My ministry through you.
“You have heard it said, ‘You must not commit adultery. I say don’t even have impure intentions, less you commit adultery in your heart’” (Matthew 5:27-28).
A. WHAT I SAY ABOUT YOUR BODY
“What, don’t you know your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost? He lives in you. He is a gift to you from the Heavenly Father. Your body does not belong to you. You are bought with the price of My blood, therefore, glorify Me in your physical body, and in your inner spirit” (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
1. You invite Me in your life at salvation. “But as many as received Me, to that person I gave the right to become the children of the Heavenly Father” (John 1:12). “I in you, the hope of glory” (Col. 1:27).
2. Your body becomes My sanctuary. “You are My temple, and the Holy Spirit dwells in you” (1 Cor. 3:16).
3. You must keep your body/temple holy. “If you defile your physical temple the Father will destroy you. For My temple is holy, you are My temple” (1 Cor. 3:17).
4. You do not have the right to do what you want with your body. “Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit . . . you are not your own” (1 Cor. 6:19).
5. You must keep your body from sexual immorality. “Do you not know that your body is a member of Me? Will you take your body and make it a member of a harlot? Certainly not! . . . Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that you do to your body is wrong; but sexual immorality is certainly a sin against your body” (1 Cor. 6:15-18).
B. WHAT IS A SANCTUARY?
1. I live in a sanctuary; it is the location for My presence. “Make Me a sanctuary that I may dwell with you” (Ex. 25:8).
2. A sanctuary is a location of worship. “Praise Me in the sanctuary” (Psa. 150:1). “Lift up your hands in the sanctuary” (Psa. 134:2).
3. A sanctuary has My attributes. “Strength and beauty are in My sanctuary” (Psa. 96:6).
a. What strength do you have for Me?
b. What beauty do you have for Me?
C. WHY IS MARRIAGE A GOOD THING?
1. People need partnerships. “But for Adam there was not found a helper (helpmeet) compatible for him” (Gen. 2:20).
2. For physical intimacy. “They (the two) shall be one (flesh)” (Gen. 2:24).
3. To give children a loving secure home. “She is now bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh” (Gen. 2:23).
4. To give pleasure (i.e., The Song of Solomon).
5. Keeps people from sinning against Me. “Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled: because fornication and adulterers, I will judge” (Heb. 13:4).
D. WHAT DOES ADULTERY INCLUDE?
1. Willful sexual intercourse with someone other than one’s husband or wife.
2. The source of lust. “Whosoever looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matt. 5:28).
3. Adultery also includes the sexual sins of rape, homosexuality, incest, and/or sexual abuse of a child.
4. Single sexual partners. “The bed is undefiled . . . but fornicators and adulterers I will judge” (Heb. 13:4). Paul mentions fornication first in list of sins (1 Cor. 5:11; Col. 3:5).
E. WHY IS ADULTERY WRONG?
1. Your relationship with your spouse is based on your relationship to God. “I am the unseen guest at every meal.” When you violate your relationship with your spouse, you violate your relationship to God.
2. You break your promise to be faithful. This is a character issue.
3. You produce children without a proper home, love, or godly example.
4. You destroy your spiritual life.
5. You expose yourself to disease.
6. Tremendous burden on society. How much does sexual unfaithfulness cost you in tax money?
F. SUMMARY/TAKE AWAY
The Seventh Commandment is about consecrating your body as a sanctuary to Me. It is about being faithful to Me, to your mate, yourself, your children, and society.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.