Summary: ❶ Shack’s Endorsements ❷ Heresies In The Shack ❸ What’s Not in The Shack ❹ A Few Steps For Discerning Heresy
I Kings 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?
- A Novel
- About a man named Mackenzie (Mack) Phillips whose daughter, Missy, was brutally murdered by a serial killer. Three years after this tragedy, he receives an invitation by mail to meet with the holy Trinity in the same shack where his daughter was murdered.
- "Where is God in a world full of pain and hurt?"
- William P. Young (a former office manager and hotel night clerk)
- # 1 on the New York Times since June 08
- #1 Barnes & Noble since May
- No. 1 on Borders Group’s
- First wrote it as a gift for his six children.
- Its publisher, Windblown Media, a company that was formed expressly to publish “The Shack”
- Self-published with $300
- Now 4.5 million copies
- Published 2007
- More than 30 languages
- Book to movie (Young offered almost $100 million)
❶ Shack’s Endorsements
— When the imagination of a writer and the passion of a theologian cross-fertilize the result is a novel on the order of The Shack. This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress did for his. It’s that good!
---- Eugene Peterson, Professor Emeritus Of Spiritual Theology, Regent College, Vancouver, B.C.
— The Shack is the most absorbing work of fiction I’ve read in many years. My wife & I laughed, cried and repented of our own lack of faith along th way . The Shack will leave you craving for the presence of God.
--- Michael W. Smith - Recording Artist
— "Our Goal ... not to endorse, not to bash, but to engage."
- "over-look" the views of God within the book and search for something deeper or richer. I say this lovingly.
---- Haven Today
- It is like our government saying we do not encourage drug use, but here are free needles or we do not encourage teen sexuality, but here are free condoms.
- The novel is primarily a dialogue between Mack and the Trinity.
- Mackenzie (Mack) Phillips – Daughter murdered
- God the Father is called "Papa," but his actual name is Elousia, which is Greek for tenderness.
- Papa appears in the form of a large maternal African American woman who is always cooking in the kitchen.
- At the end of the book, she turns into a pony-tailed, gray-haired man to assure Mack that God is both male and female.
- Jesus is a middle-aged Middle Eastern man, dressed in a plaid shirt, with a tool belt around his waist.
- The Holy Spirit appears as a delicate Asian woman named Sarayu, meaning "air," who loves gardening.
- Mack also meets another woman, named Sophia, Lady Wisdom
- When Isaiah met God
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
Isaiah 48:16 "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning, from the time, there AM I; and now the LORD GOD, and his SPIRIT, hath sent ME. Yeshua (Jesus)