Summary: The Sin of Sodom
Genesis 18:16-33 The Sin of Sodom
2 Peter 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
1. The Perversion of Sodom - LOOK BACKWARD
20 the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. 50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.
The Sins of Sodom were,
(a) Pride - 49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride
James 4:6 God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble
Had there been no pride there would have been no devil.
(b) Gluttony (49) - fulness of bread - materialism.
(c) Idleness (49) . . . and abundance of idleness - irresponsibility
(d) Selfishness - neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy
(e) Arrogant Immorality (50) And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me . . . - Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Sexual perversion is a sign already of judgment
Their Pride led to Pollution which led to Perversion.
2. The Prayer of the Saint - LOOK UPWARD
17 the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
1. Abraham’s Prayer Was Courageous Prayer - 22 but Abraham stood yet before the LORD. 23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
2. Contrite Prayer 27 Abraham said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes
3. Compassionate Prayer - Abraham is praying for others not himself.
4. Confident Prayer 25 Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
5. Conquering Prayer- 29 God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt. - The future of Ulster lies with those who pray
3. The Prophecy of the Second Coming - LOOK ONWARD
Luke 17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
Before Judgement in the flood, God put Noah in the Ark. on Sodom, God delivered Lot. on the World, God calls His own Home
The Tribulation is called the Great Day of God’s Wrath (Rev 6.17)
1. Spiritual Christians - The Noah Type People - spirit filled
Noah went into provision, protection, and the presence of God. and came out to inherit the whole earth
2. Carnal Christians – The Lot Type People. - Carnal
Lot was reluctant but the angel dragged him out. saved but singed.
3. Worldly Lost - Those who will be judged and lost in the judgment.