Summary: The text of this sermon describes those that are reprobate. In this sermon you’ll discover the sin that has people talking
The Sin That Has People Talking
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
1. The Sinfulness of Gossip.
Do we view "gossip" as sin.......is it harmless ? Most folks look at is as just a bad habit or as simply a little problem. Yet notices how God categories "gossip". It is one of the sins listed in the description of reprobates right along with fornication and murder. Are those little things ? Simply bad habits ? Have any of you slipped us and committed murder lately ? Have any of you spread some good juicy stories lately ? Gossip is a serious matter in the sight of God.
2. The Scoop On Gossip.
a. Sharing of Secrets. "whispering"
The word "gossip" is derived from "whispering". It carries with it the idea of divulging secrets. If you are shared something in confidence, and then share that with someone else......then you are a "gossip"
b. Spreading of Slander. "backbiting"
18. He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
19. In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
20. The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
21. The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.
"Backbiting" and "Slander" are synonomous. They are what the gossiper lives for.......By the way, do you know where the word "slander" comes from..........
It comes from the word "devil."
The definition of slander is malicious talk; to spread damaging information: to defame: to speak ill of. Is it then no wonder the origin of the name ? For the devil is called the "accuser" of the brethren !
Are you an "accuser" of the brethren ?
Someone has said that the Church is the only army that shoots its wounded. Isn’t that a sad commentary of the body that was purchased with the blood of Christ.
We are so quick to spread damaging, defaming information that serves no purpose but to damage the individual.
I wonder how many people have sought refuge within the church only to be run off by slanderous slips. According to the Bible, a believer who has no control over his tongue does not have a right relationship with the Lord.
26. If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.
c. Survives On Scrutinizing.
15. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters.