Summary: The Sins of the Prodical’s Brother - The man who missed out on the Blessing
THE SINS OF THE PRODIGAL’S BROTHER
A. THE PRODIGAL’S RETURN, THE GLAD SCENE
I. The father running to meet the prodigal
2. The joy over the returning one
B. THE MAN WHO MISSED OUT ON THE BLESSING
I. The elder brother returns from the field
2. He refuses to enter into the joy and therefore misses out
3. What caused the elder brother to miss the joy of this occasion?
I. THE SIN OF A NEGATIVE, CRITICAL, GRUMBLING SPIRIT (v. 28)
I. Today. one of the principal evidences of our need is our negativism, our complaining, our griping
2. How different we are from those early saints
a. Paul could praise in prison and we pout in prosperity
b. Paul gloried in his infirmities and we growl in affluence
c. If you growl all day, don’t be surprised if you’re dog-tired at night
3. Never have Christians had so much and appreciated it so little
4. What some Christians grumble about:
a. Some grumble about their family members
b. Some grumble about their jobs, the government
c. Some even grumble about their Father’s weather
d. Some are specialists at finding faults
e. Some grumble about their churches, pastors
5. Revived hearts find enough in Jesus to keep them praising!
II. THE SIN OF AN OFFENDED SPIRIT (vv. 29, 30)
1. The problem: "When this thy son was come"
2. How much of the work of God is hindered by this sin
3. What an offended spirit did to him:
a. Made him grumble when it was time to glory (vv. 28, 29)
b. Made him exaggerate his own righteousness (v. 29)
c. Made him feel sorry for himself (v. 29)
d. Made him forget all he had as a son of the father (v.31)
4. No wonder things are not as they ought to be: you have something against another.
Make it right!
III.. THE SIN OF A COMPASSIONLESS HEART (v. 30)
I. Why was the prodigal’s brother unmoved by his return ?
2. Because he had been unmoved at his being away
3. He had worked hard on the family farm but was unlike his father.
He didn’t care about his missing brother
4. The Father cares. Do you?
A. THE ELDER BROTHER NEGLECTED BECAUSE OUR SINS ARE REVEALED THROUGH STUDYING HIM
B. DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN THIS WAYWARD SON?
C. CONFESS THOSE "RESPECTABLE SINS" AND KNOW THE JOY OF THE LORD AGAIN