Summary: Sixth Commandment
“You must not murder” (Ex. 20:13, LB).
You knew it has been said, you must not murderer. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment. But I say to you, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to punishment” (Matthew 5:21-22).
A. WHY DID GOD CREATE US?
I created you to worship and praise the Father, the Holy Spirit, and Me. “They that worship Us must worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).
1. With an intellect to meaningfully worship.
2. With emotions to passionately worship.
3. With your will is freely autonomous worship.
B. I SET A MORAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND ME
1. You must put nothing before Me. “You shall have no other gods before Me.”
2. You must put nothing between Me and you. “You shall not make any carved idols.”
3. Your reverence for Me. “You shall not take My name in vain.”
4. You focus on worship to Me. “Remember to keep the Sabbath Day holy.”
C. WHAT IF YOU BREAK THAT RELATIONSHIP?
1. You trespass on holy ground.
2. Worship is internal; you can worship anytime, anywhere, under any circumstance.
3. If they kill you, you can no longer worship Me or do My will. Every murder is between Me and the killer.
D. WHY THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT?
1. Murder cuts off worship.
2. I give life, how can anyone presume to take My place to make that moral decision?
3. Murder destroys My image in people. “Whoso sheddeth (murders) man’s blood, by man (society) shall his blood be shed, for in My image I, made all people” (Gen. 9:6).
4. Murder is a crime against society. Government makes a law, i.e., a social contract to protect life.
5. I no longer receive praise, nor can I use the person who is murdered.
E. WHAT ELSE DOES THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT PROHIBIT?
1. Any thing that shortens or snuffs out life is wrong.
2. Some acts are considered murder. Euthanasia, genocide, terrorist acts, suicide.
3. Any are self-destructive acts considered murder/suicide? Alcohol, cigarettes, addictive drugs, anything that shortens life.
4. What about unintentional acts that shorten life? Withhold food, clothing, shelter, dangerous driving, dangerous habits, overeating, dangerous prescription drugs.
F. THE STANDARD FOR LIFE.
“I said unto him, you shall love the Father with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first
and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt. 22:37-39).
1. Spiritual and physical life are both precious treasures from Me. If you do not have physical life, you cannot exercise your spiritual.
2. No second chance with physical life. Joyfully receive it and tenaciously protect life.
3. The ultimate expression of the Sixth Commandment is love. If you love someone, you would not ever think of killing them.
4. What did I include when I said, “Love others as you love yourselves?”
a. Self-love, i.e., love me.
b. Self-protecting, i.e., protect me.
c. Self-exaltation, i.e., exalt me.
d. Self-protection, i.e., protect me.
e. I meant you were to respect others and their obligation to love Me, as you respect yourself and love Me.
5. Your ultimate love is to the Father, the Holy Spirit and Me. You should love others with the love you have for Us.
G. REVIEW: WHY IS MURDER WRONG?
1. Because of a person’s relationship to Me.
2. Murder is more about Me than it is about a law or a legal social contract with others.
3. When a nation forgets about Me, all forms of murder become more prevalent.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.