Summary: The sixth trumpet sounds signifying God's continued judgment on mankind. However, even in the face of this judgment, humanity continues to rebel and will not repent from its sins which are still as rampant today as they were in the first century.
The Sixth Trumpet
Revelation, Part 11, Revelation 9:11-21
- After the fifth angels sounds John sees a star fallen from heaven to earth
-- The meaning here is one of descent to accomplish the task assigned
-- This is not a fallen angel (or fallen in position)
- The angel releases the locusts from the Abyss
-- The locusts operate under God’s authority
- Note that these locusts will be allowed to torment for 5 months
- John who was caught up into heaven was shown all these things.
-- What he saw was not limited like our eyes.
-- We have to understand that as John sees things, he describes them to us
-- Why? So that we can comprehend and know!
Read Revelation 9:11-21
Ω Point 1 – Spiritual Authority (v11-12)
- Everything in this world has authority under God.
-- Here in verse 11 we see that there is authority over those in the pit.
-- God has ultimate authority, and from him is authority granted over other principalities and things of this Earth.
-- Ephesians 6:12 says “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
- This authority over the demons belongs to the seeker of evil, to Satan
-- But here, he has no authority except for what God grants him.
-- Just like us – we have authority in this world and in the spiritual world
-- Why? Because it is the shared authority of Jesus Christ!
-- Titus 3:7 says that “… so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.” – this is good news!!
- We are heirs to the throne, and heirs to the same authority that Jesus has!
-- IMP: Knowing where your authority comes from is PARAMOUNT!
Ω Point 2 – The Sixth Trumpet (v13-15)
-- John is hearing God’s voice commanding angels to do His work
-- IMP: However, there is no deliberation of their duties!
-- They go right to work – no discussion – just obedience as Jesus did
- The four angels spoken about are four angels held in captivity because of their disobedience to God and for following Satan.
-- God would never bind up His own angels, so it is important to note here that these four angels are part of Satan’s army, and God is giving them permission to be released onto this world!
- These angels have one mission – to take as many to hell as they can
-- They are not friends of man, and perhaps today you can think of when you were confronted by a fallen angel who wanted to deceive you or lie to you.
-- They exist; John is seeing four being loosed to kill 1/3 of mankind!
- Note here that these angels were bound at river Euphrates
-- Here’s some interesting facts about this river and why it is significant:
- The Euphrates River has always been a very strategic area
-- These strategies have been used for military and spiritual advantages
-- Along the “First” Euphrates River, was the Garden of Eden (Gen 2)
-- After the flood, man as one tribe settled near the river and began construction of the tower of Babel, only to be scattered throughout the earth
- On the Euphrates River was the greatest city of the ancient world
-- Babylon, the capital city of the Neo-Babylonian kingdom of Nebuchadnezzar
-- The Euphrates River was the eastern end of the Roman Empire
- On the Euphrates, in the city of Baghdad, was where the Caliphates (the successors) of Islam located the center of their power.
- Lastly, on the Euphrates, the city of Babylon will one day be rebuilt. (Revelation 18)
- Note here that 1/3 of mankind is killed!
-- This would be 1/3 of those who are left following the rapture
-- Those left after first judgments already passed on mankind!
- This demonic warfare is bent on one thing:
-- Killing those who are part of God’s creation and taking them to hell
-- They have no other agenda, and without Jesus Christ as their Savior, these fallen angels win!
Ω Point 3 – The Army of Satan (v16-19)
- Two hundred million!! Need I say more??
-- John is seeing things as they are unraveling, and thus these two hundred million soldiers of evil are very real and they are bent on destruction!
-- John also lends to this by saying that he saw them – with his own eyes.
- IMP: These two hundred million are bent on killing a 1/3 of those who are left through fire, smoke, and brimstone.