Summary: This sermon deals with softing our heart and a look at Job and see what we can learn
The Softening of the Heart
1. Verses 1-6, Job is saying? I would come and let God know just how I feel, and He’d give me strength.
2. Verses 7-9? It was like a game of hide & seek. Job cannot sense God’s presence. Sometimes you will find yourself in some extreme circumstances, and God will be nowhere to be found. It’s not be cause God does? t love you, but it’s the only way God can work in you what you really need.
3. Verse 10 If I cannot see God, He can see me. Although we may not know where God is, God knows where we are!
God ‘s dealings with Job were not to punish him (as his friends accused), but to TRY him.
4. Verses 11-12? Job’s troubles didn’t cause him from stop walking in the ways of God. He wouldn’t be turned back. He still loved Gods Word (cf. Mt. 4:4).
5. Verses 13-14, Job is saying, God is one way! God’s way can’t be changed. What is that way? God is out to perfect what He has procured. He is out to perform what He said He would finish.
NOW WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM ALL THIS?
Troubles soften our heart (v. 16).
God doesn’t bless hard-hearted people. God uses one with a soft heart, A pliable heart, a tender heart, Many times in Scripture God says, Harden not your heart (Ps. 95:8).
God told Ezekiel, A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. (Ezek 36:26).
David said, . my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. (Ps. 22:14). The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken hear. (Ps. 34:18). A broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise (Ps. 51:17).
Paul exhorts us to be, kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you (Eph. 4:32).
How do you tenderize a piece of meat?
By pounding on it.
And so it is with the heart, Trouble, adversity, trials, suffering all will make your heart soft if you don’t turn away from God during those times.
In many cases, The man with a hard heart is one who has never suffered, but always had it easy. Or, it is the one who during the hard times allowed his heart to turn away from God, and become even harder.
What did God use to soften Job’s heart?
#1 DEPLETION OF FINANCES.
Job was one of the richest men of his generation (1:3). He had it all. He was prosperous. He was wealthy. He was on easy street financially. So God gave Satan permission to destroy all of jobs financial holdings (1:9-17).
A. God never gives Satan permission to do anything that doesn’t work for our perfection (ROM. 8:28).
C. God will let you experience what other people experience to make your heart soft towards their distress.
. This gave Job a soft heart towards others that had nothing. When you experience poverty, you are more sympathetic towards others in poverty.