Summary: Mary calls us to sing HER SONG!
THE SONG OF MARY
LUKE 1: 39-56
DECEMBER 8, 2002
INTRODUCTION: Singing is what the Holidays are all about. The Choir is hard at work as well as our children’s ministries preparing a cantata and play. But why do we sing? Why do we celebrate freely in this month of December? I have been listening to a radio station 98.9 FM. All they play is Christmas Music. And do you know what most Christmas music is all about? It is about Jesus – The Savior of the World!! Yes we sing of a baby but we also sing of the salvation of the World. We sing of God’s intervention in the scheme of the human reality. We sing of those who no longer have to walk in darkness but have seen a great light! But more than just context of the singing, WE SING!! Yes, We sin in Celebration and Celebrate we do!!
TRANSITION THOUGTH: Our Text for today speaks of the reality of uncontrolled singing. Mary sings and rejoices in song and teaches us much about our God and just how He breaks in on our reality! The call is to sing! Yes to sing with Mary, TO SING, To Celebrate, and to worship. It is a call to be other minded than to focus on our circumstances in which we find ourselves. It is a call to see a new reality breaking forth before our eyes and to sing, a song of celebration.
THESIS: Mary calls us to sing HER SONG!
SO what is Mary’s Song??
I. MARY’S SONG IS A SONG OF PRAISE (VV. 46-49)
A. A song of praise moves out of the negatives
1. Mary have been told she will bear a child and this will come about by the Holy Spirit (vv. 26-35)
2. And engaged women to be found pregnant without yet being married! 3. A 14-16 year old pregnant without a husband in a culture—very much unlike our own – who would be utterly appalled at such a reality!
4. How on earth could you explain this to Mom and your Fiancée?
5. Vs. 38 – “I am the Lord’s servant… May it be to me as you have said.”
B. A song of Praise focuses on the positive (vv. 46-49)
1. Vs. 46, “My soul glorifies the Lord.”
2. Let the singing begin!
3. I don’t have to defend God!
4. I don’t have to explain it all!
5. I don’t have to understand it all!
6. I just can’t help myself, I’ve got to sing and PRAISE THE LORD!!
7. Vs. 47, “And my spirit Rejoices in God my Savior.”
8. Mary states, “I get it if no one else does!”
9. Vs. 48, “For he has been mindful…”
10. Vs 49 “For the mighty one has done great things for me… Holy is his name.” 11. There is no Scandal!!
12. There is no Shame!!
13. All fear is gone!!
14. Faith makes me sing a song of Praise!
II. MARY’S SONG IS A SONG OF PURPOSE
A. Purpose is God’s Plan/ Activity
1. It’s about something new!
2. It’s about change!
3. It’s about a different reality!
4. It’s about God’s intervention within the reality of humanity.
5. It about believing God so much you call it done!!
6. It’s about all things being Possible VS. 37
ILLUSTRATION: Gen. 18: 1-15
Mary knew God’s word – Scholars say chapters 1 &2 bear out that Mary and Joseph followed the torah – the first 5 books of the Bible. Gen. 18 1-15 tells of a similar story of a child to come within strange circumstances and laughter, even denied laughter.