Summary: Servant hood is God’s way of making us great. • Because God created us to be happy • He created us to be fulfilled, and at peace, • And this happens when we learn to serve others
OPENING: While hunting, Larry and Elmer got lost in the woods. Trying to reassure his friend, Larry said, "Don’t worry. All we have to do is shoot into the air 3 times, stay where we are, and someone will find us."
They shot in the air 3 times, but no one came. After a while, they tried again. Still no response. When they decided to try once more, Elmer said, "I hope it works this time. We’re down to our last 3 arrows."
Now We tend to do the the same thing in our lives as well
• We tend to put our hope in the advice of others, / People that we trust.
• And a lot of the time it tends to do as much good as shooting arrows.
So that’s what we’re going to spend a little time today talking about / Our Source of Hope
People in difficult circumstances often rely on advice of (ELAB ON EACH)
· Friends · Neighbors · Experts
We need to understand that Hope is vital - is critical - for our everyday survival in life.
Ro 15:1 We may know that these things make no difference, but we cannot just go ahead and do them to please ourselves. We must be considerate of the doubts and fears of those who think these things are wrong.
Ro 15:2 We should please others. If we do what helps them, we will build them up in the Lord.
Ro 15:3 For even Christ didn’t please himself. As the Scriptures say, “Those who insult you are also insulting me.”
Ro 15:4 Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. They give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises.
Ro 15:5 May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other—each with the attitude of Christ Jesus toward the other.
Ro 15:6 Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God understands that we need hope in our everyday life.
• That’s why; in verse 4 we’re told: "
• Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us.
• One of the reasons that we have the Scriptures is to give us hope.
This is what Job himself had to say: Job 6:11-13
Job 6:11 But I do not have the strength to endure. I do not have a goal that encourages me to carry on.
Job 6:12 Do I have strength as hard as stone? Is my body made of bronze?
Job 6:13 No, I am utterly helpless, without any chance of success.
Job knew that without God he was nothing,
• But with God He would be confident
• And he would live expecting good things to happen.
Proverbs 29:18 tells us
Pr 29:18 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is happy.
We need to understand that Our hope, is built on Jesus
• And at the same time that our Hope is a gift from God…
• And We should want to know how we can get this kind of Hope.
Romans 15:4 it tells us we get hope for the Sake of Encouragement"
• God’s wants to give us our hearts desires.
• BUT, God usually doesn’t give us what we want, / when we want it.