Summary: Tonight we’re going to examine the Spiritual Gifts. We're going to take a few minutes and give a brief overview of these gifts, their differences, and their importance. We're especially looking at the Revelation Gifts.
THE SPIRIT & HIS GIFTS
1 Cor. 12:8-11
A. HUMOR: WHAT’S A MIRACLE?
1. A devout cowboy lost his favorite Bible while he was mending fences out on the range. Three weeks later a cow walked up to him carrying the Bible in its mouth.
2. The cowboy couldn't believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of the cow's mouth, raised his eyes heavenward, and exclaimed, "It's a miracle!"
3. "Not really," said the cow. "Your name is written inside the cover."
4. A Miracle is a surprising event that’s not explainable by natural or scientific laws and considered to be the work of a divine agency.
4. When the Holy Spirit came down, a new dimension of the miraculous began to happen. Read with me.
“For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.” 1 Cor. 12:8-11.
1. We are having a continuing series on the Holy Spirit. We started in Genesis and have worked through the Books of the Bible, down to the Apostle’s Epistles.
2. Tonight we’re going to examine the Spiritual Gifts. We're going to take a few minutes and give a brief overview of these gifts, their differences, and their importance.
3. “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant” 1 Cor. 12:1. There are many people who don't understand the gifts of the Spirit and/or mistakenly teach that God has done away with the gifts. But they are real & vital for the Body of Christ today!
4. The title of this message is: "The Holy Spirit & His Gifts."
D. A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. ORIGIN. Spiritual gifts are not natural gifts; they are manifestations of the Holy Spirit.
2. VOLITION. It is the Holy Spirit, not the gifts, that is resident in the Believer. The Holy Spirit imparts to the Spirit-filled Believer whatever gift is needed at the moment. The Apostle Paul instructs us to wait on the Spirit to bestow His gifts (Rom. 12:7).
3. MERIT. Spiritual gifts are not an evidence of holiness. Gifts are not given because we have reached perfection, but because of God’s grace and our yeildedness.
4. PURPOSE. The gift of the Spirit are meant to bring glory to God, to edify the Body of Christ, to convince unbelievers, to redirect the church, and to meet human need.
5. CANDIDATES. All who have been baptized in the Holy Spirit are candidates to be used in the gifts of the Spirit.
6. EXERCISE. The Holy Spirit will always exercise His gifts in conformity with the Word of God. Love must be the underlying motive in the expression of the spiritual gifts.
I. GIFTS OF REVELATION
A. WORD OF WISDOM
1. This is the supernatural communication from the Holy Spirit of a portion of God's Wisdom in order to know what to say or how to act in a given situation.