Summary: The Disciples are Baptized with the Holy Spirit and Peter's First Sermon at Pentecost
TITLE: The Spirit Falls
TEXT: Acts 2
INTRO: Acts chapter 2 tells us what happened to the Disciples on the day of Pentecost. Pentecost means fiftieth” and refers to the feast of weeks , which was celebrated 50 days after Passover. At Pentecost the Jews celebrated the giving of the law. Now, we see the church given the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.
I. THE WAITING (v.1)
A. Waiting for the Promise
1. The disciples were not cowering in fear, but waiting for God's direction
-In one place
-In one accord
2. They were doing what Jesus told them to do
(Act 1:4-5 ESV) "And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
B. Waiting is Not Time Wasted
1. If we run ahead of God, then our efforts will be wasted
2. We need inspiration from God
(Pro 3:6 KJV) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
3. We need to receive God's power for the task at hand
(Isa 40:31 ESV) "but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."
II. THE WONDER (v.2-3)
A. The Sound of a Roaring Wind
1. In both the Hebrew and Greek languages, the word for spirit (as in Holy Spirit) is the same word for breath or wind.
2. When Adam was created, he wasn't alive until God breathed life into Him
(Gen 2:7 KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
3. The word Inspiration literally means "God breathed"
(2Ti 3:16 KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
B. The Cloven Tongues of Fire
1. Rested upon each one of them
2. A symbol of purification, as a refiner uses fire to make pure gold.
3. The filling of the Holy Spirit is not just for abstract power, but for purity.
C. For All Believers
1. All who believe in Christ receive the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation
(Gal 3:2 KJV) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
2. The Holy Spirit Dwells in the Believer
(Rom 8:9 KJV) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
III. THE WORD (vs. 4-8)
A. The Gift of Tongues
1. For the Purpose of Sharing the Gospel with everyone
(Act 2:4 KJV) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
2. A special gift for the early church
(1Co 13:8 ESV) Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
B. Peter's Sermon (vs. 14-47)
1. Tells the crowd that had gathered that the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit
2. Reminds the people of Jewish history and their rejection of Jesus.
3. Calls them to believe, repent and receive Jesus
C. The Miraculous Results
(Act 2:41 ESV) So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
1. We can do nothing without the Inspiration & Power of the Holy Spirit
2. God can do great things through us when we yield to His Holy Spirit.