Summary: What is the true spirit of Christmas? To do good, be rich in good works, and to give generously to others. When we do this, we will experience abundant joy.
THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS: BE RICH, DO GOOD AND GIVE GENEROUSLY
INTRO TO TOPIC: DEEP QUESTIONS OF THE UNIVERSE:
What is the meaning of life? What is God like? Can a leopard change its spots?
How do they get the caramilk into the caramilk bar? And – what does the fox say?
But – what is Christmas all about? AUDIENCE RESPONSE.
• I love Christmas – it’s my most favourite time of the year. Family memories.
• Survey in our Christian club: top three answers: presents, a Christmas tree, and snow!
• Is this what Christmas is all about?
• This morning I want to talk to you about the spirit of Christmas!
THE FIRST CHRISTMAS: “Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” (Luke 2:10-11).
• The first Christmas happened 2,000 years ago when Jesus was born!
• It was a celebration of JOY: “Joy to the world, the Lord is come!”
• However, why is it that many people don’t experience that joy today?
KEY TEXT – THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS:
“Tell those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which will soon be gone. But their trust should be in the living God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment. Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give generously to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them. By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may take hold of real life.” (1 Tim. 6:17-19).
• In Canada, we don’t think we’re rich, but the truth is, we’re all rich.
• The last time I felt rich was at the age of 16 when I got my first paycheque from McD’s.
• If you own a car, you’d be considered rich by most people in the world.
• If you have an iPhone; bought a new one even though the old one still works, you’re rich.
• If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.
• If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.
• The point isn’t ‘yahoo, we’re rich’, but what are we going to do with it?
• More than 1 billion people do not have access to safe water!
THE BIG IDEA: What is the true spirit of Christmas? To do good, be rich in good works, and to give generously to others. When we do this, we will experience abundant joy.
I. DO GOOD:
Jesus said: “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.” (Luke 6:27-28).
• This is a radical statement! It kind of makes you stand up and say, “Huh?”